Used 1999 Mazda 626 Consumer Reviews - 84 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Still my favorite car
By Courtney K

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

This was my very first car at the age of 15 with my driver's permit. I learned how to drive in this car so you could say I have a biased opinion towards it but after driving many different models and owning a 2001 Chevy Lumina and a 2012 Ford Focus (absolute garbage, never buy a Focus or a Ford), this Mazda still wins hands down. For being over a decade old at the time of owning it, it felt very sporty and aesthetic compared to my peers' vehicles. It still looks nice compared to boxier models in the 90's and even early 2000's. My 2001 Chevy Lumina looks like an old granny car compared to the 1999 Mazda 626. It's a stunning car in candy apple red. The interior was also pleasing to the eye. Lots of plastic but it didn't feel cheap like my 2012 Ford Focus does. The controls were easy to change while driving. I can't comment on the stock radio because mine had a custom Pioneer installed when I got the car, but the sound from the stock speakers was much more "tinny" than my Lumina. If that isn't as important to you as the performance then I would absolutely still recommend this car. With a V6 I had no problems getting up to speed and maintaining that speed. I've yet to drive a car that could match my Mazda's power. And it still got pretty decent gas mileage, I averaged 20-22 on the highway and 15-18 in the city. The only downside to this car is its issue with belts and the transmission. I replaced the serpentine belt twice in one month and the alternator belt broke while I was driving home and I had no idea until the battery light came on and I literally rolled to a dead stop in my driveway. The alternator belt was only a couple months old when it snapped. The other issue is the transmission, Mazdas are notorious for trannys having short lifespans. Towards the end of my ownership, the transmission would buckle and jerk when upshifting. If I'd had the money at the time, I would have repaired it because I loved the car, but unfortunately I had to sell it as is and get a more reliable car. My 2001 Chevy Lumina gets great mileage and I have not spent a single dime on repairs in the 4 years I've owned it (WOW!) but I still miss my Mazda 626.

Great Car
By salty1211

1999 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 Mazda back in May , It has 207,000 Plus miles all I have done to it is Oil Change and Lub . I like all the extra features which are to many to disribe . After owning a Ford -150 4 X 4
I enjoy the Gas Milage I get on The Mazda .

Power Windows , Power Door Locks , Headlights shutoff automatically, and many more

None Needed

Wish I had gotten more out of her.
By yakobemil

1999 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I was really excited when I got my 626. The oscillating AC was the coolest thing. I got it a year ago with 130,000 miles on it, seeing as I was a high school student, I didn't need anything fancy. Sadly, things started going wrong as soon as I got it. The o2 Sensor had to be replaced twice. The transmission started having major problems after two weeks, and the fuel pump went out. I ended up spending more on repairs than I did on the actual car. I did love it, though. One morning on my way to school the transmission went out going up a hill. 138,000 Miles. That was the last time I drove it. I sold it for 500 for parts. The transmission is known to go out on these models, though.

The seats, AC, the whole care inside and out.

Get one that has a manual transmission, they seem to have better reliability. When the car was idle, it shook like crazy.

This is a quality vehicle
By traben

1999 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

i got this Mazda used! Granted it doesnt have any power but other then that i love this car!!! it now has nearly 200,000 miles on it and it runs great!!!!!!!

the stereo is good quality, the interior is excelent quality,

needed just a hair more power!

Used and Abused but still rolling along
By BudMech

1999 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

My dad bought me this car in February of 2010 for my sophomore year in high school. We knew it had problems but we got it for only $1,180 and 129,000 miles on the odometer. After having it inspected the next day I discovered that it was a hunk of junk basically. It still needs its driver's side steering control arm replaced,a new catalytic converter, a new muffler and eventually the transmission. The car is working its way down the shifter and is unstable in Park and Reverse gears. The minor stuff is the power antenna and driver's power door locking mechanism and discs and drums. He uses it to drive to work and it hasn't killed him yet so maybe it will give out before I "officially get it."

Swinging vents, real leather seat (not pleather like in our 2004 Suburban), leather steering wheel, Alpine after-market stereo system, handling (in the corners) and suspension set up.

Rust proofing on the doors, more HP for the I-4 and V-6 engines, placement of the engine diagrams in the engine compartment instead of owner's manual, better speakers.