1998 Mazda 626 Consumer Review: Transmission Issue

1998 Mazda 626 - Consumer Review

Transmission Issue
By denn_2003 on

1998 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

I have rated this car with extreme leniency. I bought it at 70,000 miles. Transmission went out at around 86,000 miles. I spent $2500 on it and couldn't believe that it happened to me. Mazda is a Japanese car and everything in the engine is supposed to be top notch. That assumption went down the hole when the mechanic told me, "Yeah it's got a Ford Transmission in it and it's out of stock." These type of Ford transmissions were being used so much at that time that they were out of stock. I don't need to say anything else about the Ford company and its transmission. I can see how someone a little short can have problem looking back. The way the car's back side is, it's hard to get a complete back view.

AC/heater treated me fine. The exterior body style is good.

Well, the car is not made anymore thank goodness. After this experience I am not buying a Mazda anymore so I really don't care, sorry. But I would suggest a better engine over all. Specially the transmission and gasket, those were the two things that went out in my car below 90,000 miles.