Surprisingly good vehicle...
By Trinbago foreigner on
1998 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan
I had to say goodbye to my '92 Honda Accord after it began to give some trouble. It took about 3 months of car shopping and a serious test of patience to finally pick my '98 Mazda 626 LX. I took the 4 cylinder standard partly because I prefer standard and I've read (on Edmunds) that the automatic transmissions give too much trouble. I'll say I'm happy with my purchase (used with 124,500 kilometres or about 87,500 miles). I didn't know Mazda still had the swivel vents (Mazda had them since 1980's) which made me smile. I find it very comfortable on long drives (fiancee and son live in Rochester, NY) and the sound system is wicked. I'll tell anyone to get this car, but I won't push them towards the automatic.
Favorite Features
Gas mileage (6 hours+ on one tank), swivel vents, comfortable seats, big trunk, roomy interior, powerful enough engine for a 4 cylinder, firm and relatively safe car to be in, stylish enough, my fiancee likes it (major plus),
Suggested Improvements
CD player is sometime-ish with burned CDs, A/C power drop off, somewhat rigid gear shift (sometimes), trade in value I guess but that's the least of my concerns, maybe a lil' more power under the hood, $$ forced me to get a car without a moonroof. Ah well ... I still like this car.