1998 Mazda 626 Consumer Review: Decent buy

1998 Mazda 626 - Consumer Review

DX Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Decent buy
By ray on

1998 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

I fount this car to be an excellent choice for my first one. I had to put a new engine in it when I received it. Drove it for approximately three months, then got into an accident and the car was totaled. All in all it was an extremely fun car to drive. It handled exceptionally well. When we received it, it had over 140,000 miles on it but we put an engine in it with only 50,000 miles on it. It ran perfectly flawless with the exception of a squeaky belt. I give mazda credit for building an excellent gas miser. I got close to 30 mpg. That is excellent considering how hard it was used and it was close to 10 years old. It isn't a real head turner, but if you are looking for an every day driver, it is a steal.

I liked the 4 cyl engine. It was great on gas. The 5 speed transmission was extremely fun to drive. The suspension and handling of the car was excellent. It is surprisingly roomy for a small 4 door sedan. It would be nice if it had a little more pep, but is still a quick ride none the less.

Better interior selections for interior colors. Beige and gray are the only colors offered. Better front bumper. I got hit in the front passenger corner of my bumper support and it totaled my car and it was only at 25 mph. Everyone in the car was perfectly safe and unharmed but the front end was totaled.