Used 1998 Mazda 626 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Great Purchase!
By Trafficguy

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 626 used with 61k already on it.I have had the timing chain replaced, belts, rotors, brakes and maintenance on a regular basis. i keep reading about the transmissions (mine is the automatic) and I consider myself blessed at not having any trouble with it and I am at 101k and still going. I do suggest that anyone owning the automatic get the transmission fluid pumped out and replaced on occasion to increase the life of the automatic as I do, it seems to help.

I think the rear spoiler gives mine a somwhat sporty look and i really like the (electric) moonroof also the huge amount of trunk space is fantastic.

I would suggest that they redesign the dash to some degree ( I am 5ft9 and when i have the steering wheel where i like it some of the gauges arent very visible). Lastly, make a powered drivers seat common equipment and not an option as do many manufacturers now.

1998 626 LX
By shaundarbie

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Not a bad car for the price. Stay away from the automatic transmission models--they have a long history of premature failure. Luckily, ours came with a 5 speed. Unless you're very concerned with gas milage, try to find a V6. I've found the 125hp four cylinder engine very unrewarding. Where the 626 shines is in handling. I've been very impressed with the way the car corners

Stock stereo is very good. The stock alloys are also nice, as well as power moonroof and spoiler. They give the 626 a very sporty look.

Hore horsepower for the four cylinder, as 125 is not only weak, but well behind the Camry and Accord. Also, height-adjustable seats, though I heard it was available in later models.

Hi, Guys try Mazda
By penn_2003

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Good Car! I bought it one year ago, just love to drive it. No any problem.

Great car for the money!
By TrafficGuy

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Replace the O2 sensor regularly and the brakes and its all good!

Exceptional mileage and the comfort of a car in a higher price range!

Timing chain is another piece of plastic, should be designed with a solid chain.

Happy with my fourth mazda
By D.Rathbun

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This 98 626 has never reqired any repairs except an ABS sensor @30K. It is a 5 speed manual which seems to be more reliable than the automatics. I change the oil every 3000 miles and keep up with scheduled services and have yet to have a hint of a problem. I'm a little worried about the Ford connection as my well cared for Windstar's engine blew up after 61,000 miles. The car has plenty of pep with the 5 speed and appears to be utterly reliable...more trouble free than my Honda accord which puts it in good company. It also handles well in snow and ice but will bog down in the really deep stuff.

fit and finish, large trunk

key should unlock all the doors at once. I didn't like the origional bridgestone tires. They wore like iron and rode like iron. A set of michelin tires improved the car's ride and handling.