Used 1998 Mazda 626 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Surprisingly good vehicle...
By Trinbago foreigner

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I had to say goodbye to my '92 Honda Accord after it began to give some trouble. It took about 3 months of car shopping and a serious test of patience to finally pick my '98 Mazda 626 LX. I took the 4 cylinder standard partly because I prefer standard and I've read (on Edmunds) that the automatic transmissions give too much trouble. I'll say I'm happy with my purchase (used with 124,500 kilometres or about 87,500 miles). I didn't know Mazda still had the swivel vents (Mazda had them since 1980's) which made me smile. I find it very comfortable on long drives (fiancee and son live in Rochester, NY) and the sound system is wicked. I'll tell anyone to get this car, but I won't push them towards the automatic.

Gas mileage (6 hours+ on one tank), swivel vents, comfortable seats, big trunk, roomy interior, powerful enough engine for a 4 cylinder, firm and relatively safe car to be in, stylish enough, my fiancee likes it (major plus),

CD player is sometime-ish with burned CDs, A/C power drop off, somewhat rigid gear shift (sometimes), trade in value I guess but that's the least of my concerns, maybe a lil' more power under the hood, $$ forced me to get a car without a moonroof. Ah well ... I still like this car.

Wonderful Sedan
By Harold

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

Bought the car new. Now with 86000 miles I have only done oil changes, spark plugs, serp belt, and replaced the tires. Everything else is original. I love the 5 speed trans and excellent reliability!!!

V-6, 5 Speed, Boise Radio

Better gear ratio - engine revs too high at 70 mph. Driver and passenger sits too low.

Great car
By MrNutty37

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car new in 1998, have driven it 115,000 miles, and had very few problems. Left front axle has cracked twice, and the coolant reservoir has been replaced twice. Other than that, almost nothing other than regular wear and tear. The 5 speed is very smooth, and the engine has great power, especially above 3000 rpm. Fuel economy has gone a little downhill recently, but it is a high mileage car. Overall very pleased, and can't wait for the MazdaSpeed 6 to come out next year. Would definitely buy another Mazda.

"Swinging" vents, 5-speed transmission, reliability easily matching Toyota or Honda for much less money.

NO MORE BOSE STEREO. Bose is proprietary and difficult to upgrade. Needs sunglass holder and maplight (both added in '99). A little more power would be nice. Add "Swinging" vents to the 6.

Best Car I Ever Owned
By JGansauer

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

Without a doubt, the best car I ever owned. I gave my son this car a year ago for him to drive to work. Later, I sold him my truck and he returned the Mazda. I fully intended to trade it in for whatever it was worth, considering it had 122,000 miles on it. The moment I got in again, after a year, I realized I couldn't get rid of it. It was too reliable and too good a ride. I had a mechanic check it out. It only needed new spark plug wires. In 124,000 miles, besides the usual maintenance, only the water pump failed (at about 30,000 miles) which was under warantee. Well worth the $22,000 or so I spent on it.

Great power in the pinch.

Work on that Bose component CD,Radio, and Cassette player. When one goes, it all goes.

Junk
By Mark Melton

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Had this car for a year and it's been in the shop more than i'v seen it. I'm on about the 5th transmission. I would have sold it the 2nd time it went out but i'v got to drive something. The transmission cost about 1800 bucks, but i got lifetime warrenty with mine luckly, but the company doesn't want to keep replacing it. other than the transmission the car is great. nice seats, awesome vents and it handles good. i wouldn't recommend this car with a 4cyl auto. i'm getting mine converted to 5spd b/c trans company won't give me anymore autos and then i'm selling this piece of crap. want something reliable? buy a toyota, honda, or mercedes.

vents, nice leather seats, decent stereo

transmission, sunroof can't make up it's mind sometimes, only get about 22mpg on 4cyl