Used 1998 Mazda 626 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Wish it still ran
By Brittany

1998 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car for $2000, loved it. I drove it till this year when the third transmission went out. I've put at least $3500 into the car just in fixing it. The front axle had to be replaced transmission is out would replace it again but cannot find one. Over all the car has 171,000mls. I got my money out of it, now it's just setting around till someone buys it. Wonderful body, and love the sun roof. The car ran good, but also ran through a lot of money.

Favorite Features

Road smooth, went anywhere even in the snow,

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmissions

Junk
By Mark Melton

1998 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Had this car for a year and it's been in the shop more than i'v seen it. I'm on about the 5th transmission. I would have sold it the 2nd time it went out but i'v got to drive something. The transmission cost about 1800 bucks, but i got lifetime warrenty with mine luckly, but the company doesn't want to keep replacing it. other than the transmission the car is great. nice seats, awesome vents and it handles good. i wouldn't recommend this car with a 4cyl auto. i'm getting mine converted to 5spd b/c trans company won't give me anymore autos and then i'm selling this piece of crap. want something reliable? buy a toyota, honda, or mercedes.

Favorite Features

vents, nice leather seats, decent stereo

Suggested Improvements

transmission, sunroof can't make up it's mind sometimes, only get about 22mpg on 4cyl

Still running after 164,000 miles strong
By Diane

1998 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

We bought our 626 new '98 we have had no major issues with this car. Routine expected work and we have had more issues with cars with less mileage then our Mazda. The car is still beautiful rides like it's 4 yrs old and have just had super performance from this car. We bought a Mazda CX9 as well this year and again very pleased - we only drive Mazda now.

Favorite Features

I always liked the isolating fans and leather seats are still nice and never cracked, great quality, tan leather. Love my moonroof as well.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing always good service and no issues

AWESOME CAR
By theyrmom

1998 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new at the end of 1997 and I have almost 130,000 miles on it. I have the services done and the oil changed - that's it. I have had no major problems with this jewel. I have the automatic transmission, so I don't understand those who have had problems. Are they having their car serviced and oil changed? Anyway, I finally had to get a new battery after 8 years and the guy at my local service center was amazed that it was the original battery. I have had to finally get new tires. This is just a great car, I think I will keep it until it stops and it is not showing any signs of that anytime soon. It still drives like a new car. WOW!

233K mile on it
By leezhao

1998 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this 98 mazda 626 about three weeks ago with 232k mile on it, so far, I feel It is a new car, interior, exterior, engine, etc, the engine is so quiet that when I stopped at traffic light, I thought the engine had stopped running. the gas mileage is excellent, the build quality is superb. the clutch is bit stiff, I do not know if it needs to be replaced or it is way it is.

Favorite Features

auto highlights turns off, big truck space.

Suggested Improvements

smother shift at 1st and 2nd gear.