1998 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Most Bang for the buck!
By outbreak on 10/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 4 yrs now and I can tell anyone who's looking for a new or used car that it is extremely reliable. I've done my oil changes every 6000 - 7000 miles and the car has always run flawlessly. The car is very clean and basic, not too much junk that will break that many cars tend to have. The interior ergonomics are perfect.

Don't do it!
By never again!!! on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used about two years ago as a commuter car. It had about 36000 when I bought it. Now it has 78000 and the transmission is beginning to slip. After reading other reviews it appears as though my opinion of FORD quality has been reaffirmed, Fixed Or Repaired Daily. I am also geting a grinding noise from the driver side from tire. I had an older Mazda previous to this with no problems, but this car is awful. The Mitsubishi that I replaced had 170000 miles on it without ever getting the problems I am having with this car.

1998 Mazda 626 4 cyl.
By slbtrekkie on 08/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1998 Mazda thinking I was buying Japanese reliance (i.e., Honday, Nissan, Toyota). Not realizing they are mostly Fords! Most parts you have to buy from dealership, now transmission has just went out (114,000). I have no idea how much repairs will be on that.

NoMoreMazdasforMe
By nomoremazdasforme on 08/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

I've had this car about 15 months. I bought it with 58000 miles. The guides and the rails broke on the moonroof about 6 weeks after I purchased the car about $1100.00 to fix. The radiator had to be replaced at about 91000 miles- $350.00. The air conditioner condenser started leaking a few weeks ago-another $200.00. Now the clutch has gone out and that is going to cost me about $800.00 with the repairs I have already done on the clutch. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TO BUY A MAZDA.

Transmission Woes
By Remington on 07/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I will never buy another 626 or mazda for that matter. The transmission had always been extrememly jerky, defeating the purpose of having an automatic, and I was told by a number of different dealerships that there was nothing wrong with it. Finally, an honest Mazda employee told me that it was jerky by design and there was nothing I could do about it. Not to my surprise, the transmission went out at 50,000 only to be replaced with an equally shotty transmission. The only thing I like about this car is the swing option on the vents.

Commuting 626
By Vikefan on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

Needed a car to commute 35 miles one way, wanted something stylish and good on gas. Toyota's and Honda's are so much more expensive, whereas Mazda is often the forgotten step brother! I bought it with 43K miles on it and at 65K the Alternator went out took it to the shop nearby. 24 hours later, the EFI valve went out,...suspicous,...And it was something I couldn't do myself , because Mazada would not release that part to the public yet. Anyway, it is a great commuter and decent sound system. Should've gotten the 6 cyl instead of the 4 cyl, not enough snort. My wife has a hard time seeing out the back, other than that very happy with it.

Another Transmission Failure
By Very Unhappy Camper on 06/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

This is without a doubt the worst car I have ever owned. 0-60 in approximately 2 minutes. Transmission failed with less than 100,000 miles (previous car was Honda Accord with 238,000 miles at trade-in, never a problem). Wish I had read all of these reviews prior to purchasing this car. Will probably trade for another Accord if I am able to get rid of this piece of junk.

Runs Well
By Sixers rule on 06/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Had this vehicle for over a year now and have had no major problems. Drives smoothly, and after reading all the commnets am happy i got the manual transmission. Could use a little more power though.

what a deal
By bones on 06/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

bought 6 months ago from private seller. 1998 ES-V6 5 speed manual, 60k miles. have put 20,000 more on it since, have had no problems whatsover. It is quite fast, i guess about 7.5 seconds to 60mph. runs right with preludes, eclipses, other little 4 cylinders... great fun. the only ford parts i see are the cruise control, and some minor engine control systems. no big deal. dont know about manual tranny, but it works fine. dealer says engine/tranny combo "bulletproof" compared to other mazdas so i expect near toyota-like reliability to continue

Buy a 626 at your own risk
By AngryMazdaOwner on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

I bought one of the first 1998 Mazda 626's in the area. If I had known better, I would have checked Edmunds and purchased another car. My car has been back to the dealer 9 times for electrical problems. This was fixed when the dealer replaced the whole wiring harnass. Even more drama was in store for me. The transmission went at 62,000 miles. $3200 to replace the transmission. With the electrical problems, the transmission, and poor trade in value, this car was a complete bust. My only saving grace was purchasing mechanical breakdown insurance from Geico, this made the cost of replacing my transmission $250.