1998 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
very reliable
By dm on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

Bought the 626 to be different than all my neighbors who were driving Camry's. Opted for the 5 speed manual. Never had any problems with this car for the first 100,000 miles. After that...just normal wear and tear. (fuel filter, brakes, plugs) Love the car and would consider buying the new "6" that just came out

very reliable
By DM on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

My 1998 626
By Greg Sigelmier on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

It has been the best car I have ever owned. It's hard to believe it was built as a joint venture with FORD.

STAY AWAY FAR AWAY
By lsas on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

THE TRANSMISSION IN MY CAR IS A PIECE OF CRAP. MY TRANSMISSION WENT OUT AT 80,000 MILES AND IT HAS BEEN IN THE SHOP FIVE TIMES SINCE HAVING IT FIXED (THE FIRST TIME IN DECEMBER 2001). IT IS NOW JANUARY 2003 AND GUESS WHAT MY CAR HAS BEEN IN THE SHOP TWO WEEKS GOING ON THREE BECAUSE THE TRANSMISSION WENT OUT FOR THE FIFTH TIME.

good car
By peter6 on 01/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

very reliabile. never let me down. I just love this car. I am thinking to buy another one several years later.

transmissions
By wdilbeck on 12/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Transmission went out at 90,000 miles. Transmission shop has worked on many 626's and usual life for the Ford transmission that is in the 626 is 90,000-100,000.

It Ain't Sexy, But It's Wheels
By BobbyBaylor on 11/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

A good car for the price. Bought this car new and drove it 4 years during college. Boring sedan styling, but I'm a boring sedan kind of guy. Looks more expensive than it is to people who don't know it's just a re-badged Ford. Won't turn heads, but better than driving an Accord or Civic like everybody else. Unlike other reviewers, I had absolutely no problems with my 626, except for weather stipping around doors that fell out EVERY summer and had to be replaced (under warranty). The car never failed to start. Biggest gripe is acceleration from 0 is nonexistent. Lots of trunk space. Oscilating air vents will wow all your friends!

Never buy a Mazda 626
By on 10/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

Bought the car 1 year ago and recently, at 53,000 miles, the head gaskets went out. Mazda refused to assist in paying and will never buy another mazda.

A Ford by any other name is still a Ford
By AFordInSheepsKimono on 10/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I have owned my Mazda 626 for 4 1/2 years now and I have learned one major lesson in what cars not to buy. I am currently on my 3rd, yep, that's right 3rd transmission. First went at 17,000 (with a FULL replacement of the transmission required, luckily under warranty). The second went at 91,000 and if you like dropping $2600 on a whim then by all means buy a Mazda 626, in fact, you can buy mine. And with its unique color its sure to be a top seller! Easy to spot, its yellow and has the big Sunkist sticker on the door! Some good advice? If anyone recommends to you to buy a FORD, turn around and run as fast as you possibly can.

Most Bang for the buck!
By outbreak on 10/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 4 yrs now and I can tell anyone who's looking for a new or used car that it is extremely reliable. I've done my oil changes every 6000 - 7000 miles and the car has always run flawlessly. The car is very clean and basic, not too much junk that will break that many cars tend to have. The interior ergonomics are perfect.