1998 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Great car!
By caroline on 09/20/08 08:45 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

We bought this car when we found out we were expecting. It has been great for 10 years 168,000 (we used it like a second home & drove it constantly) no problems or repairs. She's just now starting to show her age & will be replaced in the spring. Wonderful car for $19k and 10 years w/out a dime in repairs just tires, and general maintenance oil, spark plugs, etc. If you find a low miles used one, buy it! We have a new tribute and it's not near as good. Lots of issues already.

Mazda 626 Problems
By Michael on 09/02/08 09:30 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

New 1998 Mazda 626 replaced a 626 that was totaled. Been nothing but problems. I'm an engineer, change oil religiously, chk tires etc. Auto transmission failure at 66K miles. Seems there was a design flaw in the tranny Mazda never fixed. After discovering this I didn't want Mazda parts used so I went to guaranteed for life tranny shop. Rebuilt transmission still running strong. Mazda refused to help with the costs as I used non-Mazda parts. Nothing but electrical problems. Factory car alarm goes off without any reason, windshield wipers slow. Turn sig. blinkers are fast then slow. Engine runs good but rest of car is a mess. After owning 4 Mazdas I've not bought another and will not.

Still running after 164,000 miles strong
By Diane on 08/19/08 21:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

We bought our 626 new '98 we have had no major issues with this car. Routine expected work and we have had more issues with cars with less mileage then our Mazda. The car is still beautiful rides like it's 4 yrs old and have just had super performance from this car. We bought a Mazda CX9 as well this year and again very pleased - we only drive Mazda now.

Love my Mazda
By Boo on 05/24/08 04:56 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

My mazda drives like a dream. I have a 97 automatic and should have blown up by now and OD out but won't quit . My 98 manual drives like a dream, interior is grey and sharp. It is a comfortable ride and with regular tune up gas mileage is still good. Love to just go for a ride or drive on pretty days.

Mazda 626LX - an excellent vehicle!
By Pam on 01/06/08 12:56 PM (PST)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have loved this car; it's the best vehicle I've ever owned. It's now nearly 10 years old and it still drives really well. It's a standard and I've never replaced or repaired the clutch and I've got @110,000 miles on it! The leather interior and sun roof have been wonderful. I've replaced the exhaust system and the tires, and reparied the rear bumpers several times due to nicks. Otherwise, I've been nearly repair free! Great car; wish Mazda still made this one because I'd get another!

1998 Mazda 626 LX 5 Speed
By Derek on 12/21/07 07:36 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

What can I say. My wife's dad purchased this car with 100,000 miles. She has been driving it for the past 4 years. It now has 208,000 miles and still running strong. I def. wasn't sure about Mazda at first. This car has actually been just as reliable than my Accord though. The clutch is strong and it is the original! I have heard plenty on bad things about the auto trans, but the 5 speed is money.

Decent buy
By ray on 04/05/07 18:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I fount this car to be an excellent choice for my first one. I had to put a new engine in it when I received it. Drove it for approximately three months, then got into an accident and the car was totaled. All in all it was an extremely fun car to drive. It handled exceptionally well. When we received it, it had over 140,000 miles on it but we put an engine in it with only 50,000 miles on it. It ran perfectly flawless with the exception of a squeaky belt. I give mazda credit for building an excellent gas miser. I got close to 30 mpg. That is excellent considering how hard it was used and it was close to 10 years old. It isn't a real head turner, but if you are looking for an every day driver, it is a steal.

Goes Early
By Brandon on 01/23/07 09:33 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car at 115,000 miles. It looked like it was in great shape and also had a new transmission put in. But the engine is where I got my problems. This engine sludged up on me and gave way too early. I paid way to much for this car to not even last me a year and a half! Overall I give it a bad grade. Maybe that's why they don't make them anymore?

Surprisingly good vehicle...follow up
By Trinbago Foreigner on 10/29/06 04:25 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Well I'm sorry for all of those that bought the automatic. The standard has been fantastic (knock on wood). I've had to change the oil pan after some rust. That's about it. Next to the usual maintenance work the car runs the same as it did before. I also take back the A/C comment since it doesn't seem to affect the gas mileage that much on long rides. In town driving shows a greater gas mileage drop off with the A/C. Annual driving given in kilometres approx. 40,000 km or 25,000 miles.

Happy with a 5 speed
By Alex Hensley on 06/12/06 05:23 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 1998 and have had few problems. The ABS failed one week after the warranty expired and the weather stripping came loose after seven years.The Ford/Mazda product isn't as high quality as pure Mazda products I've owned previously. I have gotten over 40 mpg on highway trips and city travel averages in the high 20's. After 8 years the only repair I have required is brake pads, plug wires and cleaning the throttle body. Friends that have the automatic transmission have had lots of problems but the stick shift has performed flawlessly. My Mazda truck is going strong after 21 years with out needing ANY major repairs. I think the merger with Ford has weakened the product.