Used 1998 Mazda 626 LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

1998 Mazda LX 2.0 L Automatic
By tony049

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in 1998 new. I've owned it for the past 16 years and have NEVER had one bit of problems. The only thing I've done is change the oil regularly, replaced one set of complete tires, and have had regular service intervals. Car still looks good and the interior still looks new. I've never regretted buying this car. Gas mileage is good but could be better but I have no complaints. This is a great car!

Favorite Features

Best feature is that this car is very dependable!!!! Never had one issue in 16 years of owning it. Thank God I bought this car over a Honda or Toyota.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Excellent Car
By Carbide

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

We have been driving this car for 9 years, now, and this was the best car decision we ever made. The car is now 12 years old, and most of the original parts still work fine, including alternator, power options, rad, water pump, steering components, etc. The only unexpected problems were with some replacement wheel bearings which didn't last as long as they should have. We live in a very wintry area with lots of road salt, and the body has held up well. I did a bit of research before we bought the car, so I avoided the automatic (Ford built) transmission of the 90's. Ours is a manual transmission, and it is still smooth as silk ; and the gas mileage is amazing. Basically, I love it!

Favorite Features

handling, transmission, sound system, interior roominess, simple exterior design

What a piece of junk
By Jami

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 Mazda 626LX before I knew what a piece of crap it really is. These cars have the worst transmissions around. It was replaced once and rebuilt once already since I have had it and it is going out again! Mazda needs to do a recall! I found out that the transmission put into the 94-2002 was not good and has a habit of going out not just once but several times. This needs to be fixed.

Favorite Features

I do love the sun roof, the dvd player, and the adjusting driver seat.

Suggested Improvements

Do a recall and fix the transmission problem and the stalling feature that this car does when driving 60mph!

Wish it still ran
By Brittany

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car for $2000, loved it. I drove it till this year when the third transmission went out. I've put at least $3500 into the car just in fixing it. The front axle had to be replaced transmission is out would replace it again but cannot find one. Over all the car has 171,000mls. I got my money out of it, now it's just setting around till someone buys it. Wonderful body, and love the sun roof. The car ran good, but also ran through a lot of money.

Favorite Features

Road smooth, went anywhere even in the snow,

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmissions

A great car to me
By bald eagle

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

We purchased our 626 after reading in Consumer Guide that it was highly recommended year and model. We have really enjoyed driving this car. We get an honest to goodness average of 40 mpg. I drive it at 65 to 70 on the freeway and it handles well as far as I am concerned. It never burns any oil and I have gone to synthetic oil. I'm keeping it till it dies because we have been so pleased with it. It only has 122,000 on the engine.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy. Heating and A/C work very well. Road handling is good. It is roomy inside and only slightly longer than my Ford Explorer.

Suggested Improvements

I just wish they made 626's today. One of the best cars I have owned, especially for the low cost of purchase. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one just like it