1998 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
1998 Mazda LX 2.0 L Automatic
By tony049 on 06/14/14 12:18 PM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in 1998 new. I've owned it for the past 16 years and have NEVER had one bit of problems. The only thing I've done is change the oil regularly, replaced one set of complete tires, and have had regular service intervals. Car still looks good and the interior still looks new. I've never regretted buying this car. Gas mileage is good but could be better but I have no complaints. This is a great car!

Excellent Car
By Carbide on 06/27/10 10:59 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

We have been driving this car for 9 years, now, and this was the best car decision we ever made. The car is now 12 years old, and most of the original parts still work fine, including alternator, power options, rad, water pump, steering components, etc. The only unexpected problems were with some replacement wheel bearings which didn't last as long as they should have. We live in a very wintry area with lots of road salt, and the body has held up well. I did a bit of research before we bought the car, so I avoided the automatic (Ford built) transmission of the 90's. Ours is a manual transmission, and it is still smooth as silk ; and the gas mileage is amazing. Basically, I love it!

What a piece of junk
By Jami on 04/12/10 14:34 PM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 Mazda 626LX before I knew what a piece of crap it really is. These cars have the worst transmissions around. It was replaced once and rebuilt once already since I have had it and it is going out again! Mazda needs to do a recall! I found out that the transmission put into the 94-2002 was not good and has a habit of going out not just once but several times. This needs to be fixed.

A great car to me
By bald eagle on 04/09/10 20:59 PM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

We purchased our 626 after reading in Consumer Guide that it was highly recommended year and model. We have really enjoyed driving this car. We get an honest to goodness average of 40 mpg. I drive it at 65 to 70 on the freeway and it handles well as far as I am concerned. It never burns any oil and I have gone to synthetic oil. I'm keeping it till it dies because we have been so pleased with it. It only has 122,000 on the engine.

Wish it still ran
By Brittany on 11/15/09 20:44 PM (PST)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car for $2000, loved it. I drove it till this year when the third transmission went out. I've put at least $3500 into the car just in fixing it. The front axle had to be replaced transmission is out would replace it again but cannot find one. Over all the car has 171,000mls. I got my money out of it, now it's just setting around till someone buys it. Wonderful body, and love the sun roof. The car ran good, but also ran through a lot of money.

engine stalled while driving 60 mph hwy
By T on 11/01/09 15:19 PM (PST)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car last year from a private seller. 2 months after having the car, no more then 80,000 miles on it, the transmission went out. Beginning of April 2009 I drove it to Georgia. It handled the mountains very well. Now that I was confident in this car I allowed my 18 year old daughter to use the car to go approximately 118 miles out of town. On her trip back the engine stalled while she was going 60 mph on the highway..now it was towed today and I want to know what other safety hazards I must be aware of with this car. It was my first luxury car and it let me down and almost killed my first born. Where do I go to file a safety complaint? Others need to be aware of this danger!

The car wont die
By jon on 06/02/09 07:54 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

i have had this car for 6 months now it is my first car and it keeps turning heads even at 11 or how ever old it is people have stopped me and said what a nice cat that is i cant complain the car only die once because of a bad fuel pump but come on it is from 1998. when i bought it it had 125,000 and in six months i have put on another thousand so it really holds up

Typical Automatic Issues?
By Pat M on 01/19/09 15:36 PM (PST)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bottom line is I love the car. I must. I've owned it for over 10 years, and am only now deciding to sell. But, transmission #3 is issuing signals, and the pre-cat went out years ago. The pre-cat triggers the chk eng light, then the light goes out in a couple of weeks. Not really an issue, just an annoyance. We also lost a lot of weather-stripping around the doors. I re-hung it. But I think it needs more than just an adhesive to really do the job. After two years, we also have two dash bulbs out. Makes it a pain to use the heater when you can't real the dial. But I still have the car, so it isn't all bad. A very fun car to drive, even with low power.

Great car!
By caroline on 09/20/08 08:45 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

We bought this car when we found out we were expecting. It has been great for 10 years 168,000 (we used it like a second home & drove it constantly) no problems or repairs. She's just now starting to show her age & will be replaced in the spring. Wonderful car for $19k and 10 years w/out a dime in repairs just tires, and general maintenance oil, spark plugs, etc. If you find a low miles used one, buy it! We have a new tribute and it's not near as good. Lots of issues already.

Mazda 626LX - an excellent vehicle!
By Pam on 01/06/08 12:56 PM (PST)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have loved this car; it's the best vehicle I've ever owned. It's now nearly 10 years old and it still drives really well. It's a standard and I've never replaced or repaired the clutch and I've got @110,000 miles on it! The leather interior and sun roof have been wonderful. I've replaced the exhaust system and the tires, and reparied the rear bumpers several times due to nicks. Otherwise, I've been nearly repair free! Great car; wish Mazda still made this one because I'd get another!