1998 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Weak transmissions
By Fenderroads on 10/18/08 06:58 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car for my daughter in 1998 for her to finish high school and go off to college in. The car has never left her stranded, but the automatic transmission has greatly increased the cost of a higher education. I've had the transmission replaced twice, once at 55K miles, and again at 120K. The clutch packs appear to be the weak link in the transmission. I had to change the heater coil in 2000. I made the repairs myself one week end. I'll never do that again.

Mazda 626 Problems
By Michael on 09/02/08 09:30 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

New 1998 Mazda 626 replaced a 626 that was totaled. Been nothing but problems. I'm an engineer, change oil religiously, chk tires etc. Auto transmission failure at 66K miles. Seems there was a design flaw in the tranny Mazda never fixed. After discovering this I didn't want Mazda parts used so I went to guaranteed for life tranny shop. Rebuilt transmission still running strong. Mazda refused to help with the costs as I used non-Mazda parts. Nothing but electrical problems. Factory car alarm goes off without any reason, windshield wipers slow. Turn sig. blinkers are fast then slow. Engine runs good but rest of car is a mess. After owning 4 Mazdas I've not bought another and will not.

Decent buy
By ray on 04/05/07 18:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I fount this car to be an excellent choice for my first one. I had to put a new engine in it when I received it. Drove it for approximately three months, then got into an accident and the car was totaled. All in all it was an extremely fun car to drive. It handled exceptionally well. When we received it, it had over 140,000 miles on it but we put an engine in it with only 50,000 miles on it. It ran perfectly flawless with the exception of a squeaky belt. I give mazda credit for building an excellent gas miser. I got close to 30 mpg. That is excellent considering how hard it was used and it was close to 10 years old. It isn't a real head turner, but if you are looking for an every day driver, it is a steal.

Transmission Issue
By denn_2003 on 11/07/05 18:48 PM (PST)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have rated this car with extreme leniency. I bought it at 70,000 miles. Transmission went out at around 86,000 miles. I spent $2500 on it and couldn't believe that it happened to me. Mazda is a Japanese car and everything in the engine is supposed to be top notch. That assumption went down the hole when the mechanic told me, "Yeah it's got a Ford Transmission in it and it's out of stock." These type of Ford transmissions were being used so much at that time that they were out of stock. I don't need to say anything else about the Ford company and its transmission. I can see how someone a little short can have problem looking back. The way the car's back side is, it's hard to get a complete back view.

Avoid automatics at all costs
By HankMcStanky on 03/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This was my second 626. The engine has been mostly fine, blew a head gasket at 85,000 but that feels like a fluke. The door seals, mentioned by many others, are annoying but no big deal. The trouble, as you've guessed, is the automatic transmission, made by Ford, which completely fell apart at 90,000 miles, took $2500 to fix, and has been back in the shop 3 more times in the next 12,000 miles. Some apparently break as early as 60,000. It's sad, because I really liked the car up until the fateful day it was towed to the shop. Look for a manual, which is what I'll be in the market for as soon as this one breaks again.

Don't do it!
By never again!!! on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used about two years ago as a commuter car. It had about 36000 when I bought it. Now it has 78000 and the transmission is beginning to slip. After reading other reviews it appears as though my opinion of FORD quality has been reaffirmed, Fixed Or Repaired Daily. I am also geting a grinding noise from the driver side from tire. I had an older Mazda previous to this with no problems, but this car is awful. The Mitsubishi that I replaced had 170000 miles on it without ever getting the problems I am having with this car.

1998 Mazda 626 4 cyl.
By slbtrekkie on 08/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1998 Mazda thinking I was buying Japanese reliance (i.e., Honday, Nissan, Toyota). Not realizing they are mostly Fords! Most parts you have to buy from dealership, now transmission has just went out (114,000). I have no idea how much repairs will be on that.

Commuting 626
By Vikefan on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Needed a car to commute 35 miles one way, wanted something stylish and good on gas. Toyota's and Honda's are so much more expensive, whereas Mazda is often the forgotten step brother! I bought it with 43K miles on it and at 65K the Alternator went out took it to the shop nearby. 24 hours later, the EFI valve went out,...suspicous,...And it was something I couldn't do myself , because Mazada would not release that part to the public yet. Anyway, it is a great commuter and decent sound system. Should've gotten the 6 cyl instead of the 4 cyl, not enough snort. My wife has a hard time seeing out the back, other than that very happy with it.

Excellent.
By mrwildwood on 03/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I love it. The only quirks it has is the auto tranmission, it's alittle jerky untill you get used to how to let off on the gas, but other than that it's great. Very smooth, good fit and finish, and one of the best factory sound systems in the industry. The only other thing thing about this car is the oil filter location...why? The instruction manual says to get the oil changed at a dealer because of the "special tool" needed to change it. Again I ask....why?