Used 1998 Mazda 626 LX V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

AWESOME CAR
By theyrmom

1998 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new at the end of 1997 and I have almost 130,000 miles on it. I have the services done and the oil changed - that's it. I have had no major problems with this jewel. I have the automatic transmission, so I don't understand those who have had problems. Are they having their car serviced and oil changed? Anyway, I finally had to get a new battery after 8 years and the guy at my local service center was amazed that it was the original battery. I have had to finally get new tires. This is just a great car, I think I will keep it until it stops and it is not showing any signs of that anytime soon. It still drives like a new car. WOW!

Love my Mazda
By Boo

1998 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

My mazda drives like a dream. I have a 97 automatic and should have blown up by now and OD out but won't quit . My 98 manual drives like a dream, interior is grey and sharp. It is a comfortable ride and with regular tune up gas mileage is still good. Love to just go for a ride or drive on pretty days.

I love the look inside and out, the bose speakers, the leather interior, sun roof, all electric, and drives great. But love that it don't have the usual tan interior, it is grey.

The front bumpers are weak. Both my 626's bumpers were cracked when got them. The windows could roll up faster.

Wonderful Sedan
By Harold

1998 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

Bought the car new. Now with 86000 miles I have only done oil changes, spark plugs, serp belt, and replaced the tires. Everything else is original. I love the 5 speed trans and excellent reliability!!!

V-6, 5 Speed, Boise Radio

Better gear ratio - engine revs too high at 70 mph. Driver and passenger sits too low.

Best Car I Ever Owned
By JGansauer

1998 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

Without a doubt, the best car I ever owned. I gave my son this car a year ago for him to drive to work. Later, I sold him my truck and he returned the Mazda. I fully intended to trade it in for whatever it was worth, considering it had 122,000 miles on it. The moment I got in again, after a year, I realized I couldn't get rid of it. It was too reliable and too good a ride. I had a mechanic check it out. It only needed new spark plug wires. In 124,000 miles, besides the usual maintenance, only the water pump failed (at about 30,000 miles) which was under warantee. Well worth the $22,000 or so I spent on it.

Great power in the pinch.

Work on that Bose component CD,Radio, and Cassette player. When one goes, it all goes.

not a problem yet
By laurel malave

1998 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

I enjoy this car, but I am just hitting the mileage point (after 55,000) where i may or may not have problems. For example, the weather stripping has come off the doors several times (and will not stay glued). Also, the doors are not latching shut as easily as they used to. I have to slam them hard to get them to shut. Otherwise, i have not had any significant repairs as of date, just normal maintenence. i love this car, but my family has outgrown it! Reccomended a excellent car for a family of four or less.

Sound system...Bose. Superb!!!! Nice pick-up, considering it is a heavy sedan (with v6 and manual). Good size trunk. Modern interior (without leather and wood grain dash).

Not much...would be nice to have a place to put coins, though. The interior light is insufficient, needs a map light as well. Door handles could be improved for easier opening.