Used 1998 Mazda 626 ES Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Solid ten years of transportation
By Mark

1998 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

Looking to buy a new (used) car and mentally struggling to part with "old reliable"--think I'll gift to the kids for transportation and expect they can get at least another five years out of the old gal. Bought as year-old used and have had no troubles--simply changed the oil every 4-5K miles and was careful to change transmission fluid every 60K (as recommended by my non-dealer mechanic). Otherwise all predictable and expected general maintenance. Mazda is a winner in my book.

Reliability, good power, decent interior elements

Did have the power radio antenna fail and no longer fully retracts--but it still works!

Still running after 164,000 miles strong
By Diane

1998 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

We bought our 626 new '98 we have had no major issues with this car. Routine expected work and we have had more issues with cars with less mileage then our Mazda. The car is still beautiful rides like it's 4 yrs old and have just had super performance from this car. We bought a Mazda CX9 as well this year and again very pleased - we only drive Mazda now.

I always liked the isolating fans and leather seats are still nice and never cracked, great quality, tan leather. Love my moonroof as well.

Nothing always good service and no issues

Great car
By MrNutty37

1998 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car new in 1998, have driven it 115,000 miles, and had very few problems. Left front axle has cracked twice, and the coolant reservoir has been replaced twice. Other than that, almost nothing other than regular wear and tear. The 5 speed is very smooth, and the engine has great power, especially above 3000 rpm. Fuel economy has gone a little downhill recently, but it is a high mileage car. Overall very pleased, and can't wait for the MazdaSpeed 6 to come out next year. Would definitely buy another Mazda.

"Swinging" vents, 5-speed transmission, reliability easily matching Toyota or Honda for much less money.

NO MORE BOSE STEREO. Bose is proprietary and difficult to upgrade. Needs sunglass holder and maplight (both added in '99). A little more power would be nice. Add "Swinging" vents to the 6.

Very happy with my 626
By Happyw/626

1998 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

I am very happy with my Mazda 626. I purchased it 1.5 years ago The car has been very reliable and I have put 22000 miles on it and no problems since new. I feel that for a $21,000 car new, its an exceptional value. I am suprised that the trade in value is only $4100 as it is a quality car and rates up there with the higher end ones. I read these complaints that people have and have to laugh. They buy the car used, don't know who had it first, then complain that its Mazda? Who knows what kind of driver may have beat the car for the for 50,000 miles. Think about it?

Its a very comfortable car overall and very nice looking. I would buy another Mazda in a minute, but this one still has a long life ahead of it.

None

Great car for the money!
By TrafficGuy

1998 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

Replace the O2 sensor regularly and the brakes and its all good!

Exceptional mileage and the comfort of a car in a higher price range!

Timing chain is another piece of plastic, should be designed with a solid chain.