1998 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Solid ten years of transportation
By Mark on 09/01/09 19:02 PM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

Looking to buy a new (used) car and mentally struggling to part with "old reliable"--think I'll gift to the kids for transportation and expect they can get at least another five years out of the old gal. Bought as year-old used and have had no troubles--simply changed the oil every 4-5K miles and was careful to change transmission fluid every 60K (as recommended by my non-dealer mechanic). Otherwise all predictable and expected general maintenance. Mazda is a winner in my book.

Still running after 164,000 miles strong
By Diane on 08/19/08 21:35 PM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

We bought our 626 new '98 we have had no major issues with this car. Routine expected work and we have had more issues with cars with less mileage then our Mazda. The car is still beautiful rides like it's 4 yrs old and have just had super performance from this car. We bought a Mazda CX9 as well this year and again very pleased - we only drive Mazda now.

Great car
By MrNutty37 on 11/10/04 11:31 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car new in 1998, have driven it 115,000 miles, and had very few problems. Left front axle has cracked twice, and the coolant reservoir has been replaced twice. Other than that, almost nothing other than regular wear and tear. The 5 speed is very smooth, and the engine has great power, especially above 3000 rpm. Fuel economy has gone a little downhill recently, but it is a high mileage car. Overall very pleased, and can't wait for the MazdaSpeed 6 to come out next year. Would definitely buy another Mazda.

Very happy with my 626
By Happyw/626 on 02/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

I am very happy with my Mazda 626. I purchased it 1.5 years ago The car has been very reliable and I have put 22000 miles on it and no problems since new. I feel that for a $21,000 car new, its an exceptional value. I am suprised that the trade in value is only $4100 as it is a quality car and rates up there with the higher end ones. I read these complaints that people have and have to laugh. They buy the car used, don't know who had it first, then complain that its Mazda? Who knows what kind of driver may have beat the car for the for 50,000 miles. Think about it?

Great car for the money!
By TrafficGuy on 08/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

Replace the O2 sensor regularly and the brakes and its all good!

very reliable
By dm on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

Bought the 626 to be different than all my neighbors who were driving Camry's. Opted for the 5 speed manual. Never had any problems with this car for the first 100,000 miles. After that...just normal wear and tear. (fuel filter, brakes, plugs) Love the car and would consider buying the new "6" that just came out

very reliable
By DM on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

NoMoreMazdasforMe
By nomoremazdasforme on 08/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

I've had this car about 15 months. I bought it with 58000 miles. The guides and the rails broke on the moonroof about 6 weeks after I purchased the car about $1100.00 to fix. The radiator had to be replaced at about 91000 miles- $350.00. The air conditioner condenser started leaking a few weeks ago-another $200.00. Now the clutch has gone out and that is going to cost me about $800.00 with the repairs I have already done on the clutch. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TO BUY A MAZDA.

what a deal
By bones on 06/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

bought 6 months ago from private seller. 1998 ES-V6 5 speed manual, 60k miles. have put 20,000 more on it since, have had no problems whatsover. It is quite fast, i guess about 7.5 seconds to 60mph. runs right with preludes, eclipses, other little 4 cylinders... great fun. the only ford parts i see are the cruise control, and some minor engine control systems. no big deal. dont know about manual tranny, but it works fine. dealer says engine/tranny combo "bulletproof" compared to other mazdas so i expect near toyota-like reliability to continue

Buy a 626 at your own risk
By AngryMazdaOwner on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

I bought one of the first 1998 Mazda 626's in the area. If I had known better, I would have checked Edmunds and purchased another car. My car has been back to the dealer 9 times for electrical problems. This was fixed when the dealer replaced the whole wiring harnass. Even more drama was in store for me. The transmission went at 62,000 miles. $3200 to replace the transmission. With the electrical problems, the transmission, and poor trade in value, this car was a complete bust. My only saving grace was purchasing mechanical breakdown insurance from Geico, this made the cost of replacing my transmission $250.