Used 1998 Mazda 626 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

233K mile on it
By leezhao

1998 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this 98 mazda 626 about three weeks ago with 232k mile on it, so far, I feel It is a new car, interior, exterior, engine, etc, the engine is so quiet that when I stopped at traffic light, I thought the engine had stopped running. the gas mileage is excellent, the build quality is superb. the clutch is bit stiff, I do not know if it needs to be replaced or it is way it is.

Favorite Features

auto highlights turns off, big truck space.

Suggested Improvements

smother shift at 1st and 2nd gear.

1998 Mazda LX 2.0 L Automatic
By tony049

1998 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in 1998 new. I've owned it for the past 16 years and have NEVER had one bit of problems. The only thing I've done is change the oil regularly, replaced one set of complete tires, and have had regular service intervals. Car still looks good and the interior still looks new. I've never regretted buying this car. Gas mileage is good but could be better but I have no complaints. This is a great car!

Favorite Features

Best feature is that this car is very dependable!!!! Never had one issue in 16 years of owning it. Thank God I bought this car over a Honda or Toyota.

Suggested Improvements

None.

AWESOME CAR
By theyrmom

1998 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new at the end of 1997 and I have almost 130,000 miles on it. I have the services done and the oil changed - that's it. I have had no major problems with this jewel. I have the automatic transmission, so I don't understand those who have had problems. Are they having their car serviced and oil changed? Anyway, I finally had to get a new battery after 8 years and the guy at my local service center was amazed that it was the original battery. I have had to finally get new tires. This is just a great car, I think I will keep it until it stops and it is not showing any signs of that anytime soon. It still drives like a new car. WOW!

Excellent Car
By Carbide

1998 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

We have been driving this car for 9 years, now, and this was the best car decision we ever made. The car is now 12 years old, and most of the original parts still work fine, including alternator, power options, rad, water pump, steering components, etc. The only unexpected problems were with some replacement wheel bearings which didn't last as long as they should have. We live in a very wintry area with lots of road salt, and the body has held up well. I did a bit of research before we bought the car, so I avoided the automatic (Ford built) transmission of the 90's. Ours is a manual transmission, and it is still smooth as silk ; and the gas mileage is amazing. Basically, I love it!

Favorite Features

handling, transmission, sound system, interior roominess, simple exterior design

What a piece of junk
By Jami

1998 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1998 Mazda 626LX before I knew what a piece of crap it really is. These cars have the worst transmissions around. It was replaced once and rebuilt once already since I have had it and it is going out again! Mazda needs to do a recall! I found out that the transmission put into the 94-2002 was not good and has a habit of going out not just once but several times. This needs to be fixed.

Favorite Features

I do love the sun roof, the dvd player, and the adjusting driver seat.

Suggested Improvements

Do a recall and fix the transmission problem and the stalling feature that this car does when driving 60mph!