1997 Mazda 626 Consumer Review: Mazda 626

1997 Mazda 626 - Consumer Review

LX Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Mazda 626
By Danielle on

1997 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

My family bought this car brand new and it ran pretty well until about 2007 when it started to have several issues (mostly because of age). The interior fell apart (visor fell off, most radio buttons gone, passenger mirror light on all of the time because the plastic part on top fell apart). The cruise control never worked. It shifted into overdrive randomly and was very shaky when this happened. We also had a leaky trunk that lead to a mildew smell. The transmission failed around 150,000 miles and was replaced luckily cheap for around $500.00. Since then the gas and breaks have been very touchy and because of this I hate driving it and am glad that I bought a Ford Mustang :)

Favorite Features

Um. The only thing I liked about it was that it got from point A to point B MOST of the time. It was decent in snow when we had good tires, which was very important.

Suggested Improvements

The air conditioning always made a funny whistling noise on the highway, which puzzled all of the mechanics we had look at it. The interior could have been a little more durable, and the automatic transmission was unreliable and the car left me stranded several times.