1997 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Never Again!!!
By Never Again! on 09/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

Just like many 626 owners, I had major transmission trouble. My transmission went out at 55,000 miles ($2,800) and was on its way out again. Too many other problems to mention. All I can say is 3 things: 1) that I almost spent the same amount of money fixing this car as I did when I purchased it - 2) I will never buy another 626 and 3) the VISA credit card company loved this car. If you are buying a 626 then start saving your money for new transmissions because you will go through at least 1 but probably 2.

same car?
By loangle on 08/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

this 5spd LX was the first car i bought new and i've never regretted it. it's now got 90K+ on it and the only major repair i can recall was the clutch pedal became tough to depress around 40K mi., and they had to change the master cylinder. the A/C leaked condensation into the cabin once--the drain gets plugged easily. i had some tire noise early, but got tires with a different tread pattern that were much quieter. but my wife and i drove this car on a 3 week trip from the east coast to utah and back, and we still love the car.

Transmission Hell
By Kathryn on 06/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

When I bought this car I was excited about owning a luxurious car at an affordable price, but I got what I paid for. A month ago at 63,000 miles my transmission went out. $2000 later, it still cannot decide if it wants to go into 3rd gear, and sometimes second. Mazda Corporation was unwilling to assist in any repairs. Other problems include: exhaust, no speed pickup, catalytic converter, overdrive light flashes, check engine light comes on periodically.

Great Car!
By mazdadriver on 05/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 ES V6 4dr Sedan

I love this car. I have never had any major problems with it. It has been totally reliable. Starts right up, has lots of power with the V6, tight turns, etc. I bought the fully loaded car (except CD) and it has been wonderful.

I enjoy my 626!
By Not Complaining on 05/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I have really enjoyed my 626. The only thing I have had go wrong was the catalytic converter had to be replaced at 48000 miles, but it was under warranty still, so it didn't cost a dime to fix. My only complaints are that I don't find the car to be comfortable for trips longer than 1 hour in length; that the gold trim has faded considerably even though the car is garaged and well taken car of; and for some reason I have no trunk light even though the manual says it is standard.

great on gas
By sylvester on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

i got the dx with the 5sp, and i get 35 mpg average (mostly highway). Suspension soaks up the bumps pretty good for a car its size, and handles crisply but its a little soft on the harder turns. The car could definitely use more power--114 hp is just not enough to pull away quickly, but once moving on the highway cruises nicely and has passing ability. One major complaint is the tire/road noise, and the worst dealer network and customer support going. I have to service mine at the ford/mazda dealer because the mazda dealer where i bought it is the WORST and the customer support at mazda was useless. Even though the car overall has been good--i will look at nissan & even GM next time around.

Don't even think about buying one..
By capnspa on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

As with most 626 owners I have a transmission going out.. Hesitates between 2nd and 3rd gear, overdrive light begins flashing, overdrive will kick out at higher speeds. I still owe $5000 and am stuck.. Transmission will cost around $2000. I am trading it in on a Nissan or Honda. You might as well buy a 64 Rambler, it would be more dependable. Mazda should recall but won't give up the money.. Transmission is definitely flawed in a big way..

The best out there for money..
By rezamarand on 04/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

I agree that this car is great for some and not so great for others. It's very comfortable, stylish, but too flat. It was the best out there for my money at time. My 1997 has a manual transmission, I used to have a 1992 protege with Auto transmission, although I never had any problem with the transmission, I decided get a manual. It's a bit noisy, maybe because of exhuast link, but not annoying. I feel that either the body is too heavy (which is) or the engine is not powerful enough or both. I love to drive fast, but I have to change my habit with this one, which is good!! In overal, I love my car and I'll keep buying Mazdas, if they intend to improve

A Nice Car
By TCA on 04/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I got this car as my second one and i find it ti be pretty nice. however, the engine could use more power, but i guess a 4 cyl. will prevent some of those speeding ticktes. :)

my mazda 626
By marv on 04/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Not happy with car mechanically despite it being well maintained. Transmission went at 45K miles, numerous other repairs needed, even while in warranty.