1997 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Junk--Don't Buy One!
By Paxman on 03/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 626 DX with 63,000 miles last May from a buddy for $4500.00-- thought I was getting a good deal. In less than 11,000 miles the following has happened: exhaust fell off, front brakes + rotors had to be replaced, CV joint replaced, radiator had a hole in it, clutch went out and all four struts are shot. Some deal. Trade value on this dog is nothing, so I'm fixing it and putting it up for sale so I don't totally lose my shirt.

most reliable car I've ever had
By MagicMazda on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought my 626 new in '97. Almost six years later and 57,000 miles, and I'm just now making the first out of pocket repair. One minor o2 problem was covered under warranty. All I've had to do is put oil, gas, and tires in the appropriate places and the car just goes. The leather seats are very comfortable, the cd stereo is solid and 35mpg on the highway is tough to beat. AC is good, heat is better. The auto trans shifts hard at low speed (wish I got the 5sp). Could use a little more horsepower that 114, but overall my 626 is a great car.

Excellent !!
By aj on 01/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Looks and drives as good as on day one. Paint is still perfect. NO mechanical problems. I love this car.

Great Car
By AustinS on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and the only problems i had was the transmission around 70k. I love the way it handles around turns. At really high speeeds, there are only slight vibrations, the noise is a bit loud, well the radio can fix that. The power is ok but not enough for racing...mods are verry ez to install on this car. The sunroof got stuck and i spent an hour fixing it. Suprisingly, the inline 4 produces a verry loud sound, not the weed eater type but with a stock muffler, it sounds great! I don't really see this car as a family car but for the price, its worth it!

Read the manuel - transmission problem..
By functoid on 12/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

is not due to the car. It clearly says in the manaual that while in stop and go traffic, one should have the Overdrive off. only on a long run should overdrive be turned on. People who don't do the above end up ruining their transmission and this true for any car.

aaa
By Betelgeuse on 11/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan

Sucky relaiablity was the worst of this car's problems. Radiator started to leak about 1 year after I bought it, and soon after the water mump failed. About six months after that the transmission fluid was leaking and an incorrectly (I presume) factory installed hose clamp wear away at one of the AC coolant pipes causing all the refrigerant to fizzle out. Below average performance and rather uninspired interior styling.

problems
By txtc7 on 10/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this Mazda used with 42000 miles w/ a extended warranty.(thank GOD!!) At 45000 miles my front O2 sensor went out. 55000 my rear sensor. at 68000 13 of the 16 valves collapsed and the paint is "crazing" and chiping all over the car. at 70000 my trans started shifting hard, took it in and 3 trans and 2 motor mounts were bad.Thank god for the extended warranty!

Other than the transmission......
By Will789 on 10/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I had a problem with the automatic transmission around 50,000 miles or so, but had it replaced under warranty. The first 50,000 miles left me feeling a bit unsatisfied with the car, but now that I have put another 125,000 on the car I have been very happy with it overall. I have had less problems with the 626 than the last 2 American cars that I owned.

Glad I Got the 5 Speed
By rjgonzalez on 10/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

After reading the other reviews, I am glad that I got mine with the manual transmission. It has the 6 cylinder, so it is more fun than the 4 and I average in the uppper 20's around town and in the 30's on the highway. I have over 100K miles on it and I haven't had any major problems, but have had to replace the CV joints at 90K and the rear stablizer bar end link. It still has the original battery at 5 1/2 years, though I will replace it before winter. The clutch still feels tight at 101K and the engine still runs smooth and doesn't burn any oil. I have had to get pieces of the exhaust system replaced, but so far has only cost me about $100.

Last Mazda Purchase
By Cheyhart on 10/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan

Transmission went out at 38,000... right after the warranty expired. After a battle with the dealer, Mazda agreed to pay for parts ($2,000+) and I got stuck with $900 labor. Now at 45,000 miles engine light comes on periodically and I am starting to see oil-like stains on my garage floor. I am getting nervous. I own only $800 on the vehicle and fear more major repairs are looming. Used to buy American until Dodge and Ford fiascos... wanted to give Mazda a try, but will buy only Hondas and Toyotas from now on.