Used 1997 Mazda 626 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Reliable
By 97-626

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have a 97 626LX 5 speed with 211,000 miles, and the car has been absolutely perfect. Seems most complaints here are from the auto trans. I owned an 85 626 from new and sold it in 97 with 193k miles, when I bought this one. Still have original clutch, alternator, hoses, and all major components. Regular oil changes and maintenance. Would highly recommend the 5 speed 626.

Gas mileage. Still getting 36 mpg hwy after 200k miles.

More HP.

Beware of bad Transmissions
By Ron

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

The car transmission crapped out at 140,000 miles. We were lucky. Mazda 626 uses a Ford transmission. Beware this is a problem. We also have a engine light that comes on. After several attempts to fix the problems it still comes on. Other than that I liked the car We will be getting rid of it soon for something more reliable.

Nice feel. Controls easy to use.

TRANSMISSION!

Would buy again
By J Hohler

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new. Got an excellent deal because nobody wanted a V6 with a 5 speed. This car is a blast to drive. We had it now for 9 years with no major problem. Most expensive repair was replacing the timing belt, other than that basic maintenance. I would buy this car again.

The V6 with the 5 speed. manual transmission.

Fit and finish of the dashboard.

Stiiiiiiill Going
By Robert

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about 6 years ago with my dad's recommendation. He is a certified Mazda mechanic and he said the most reliable car on the road was the 626 4 cylinder with the manual transmission. Last week I had a timing belt tensioner spring break about 4-1/2 hours from home. So I ran it back at 80mph trying to blow it up. The motor sounded like a blender full of rocks, I just kept waiting for it to explode. But it kept going. Got it home replaced all the belts, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, water pump. And you can not believe how this car runs for a car approaching 200,000 miles. Quiet and smooth. That was the only maintenance I had ever done in 150,000 miles, besides oil and tires.

Rock solid reliability. Consistently 33 to 36 mpg. "Swing" feature on the motorized vents. Good handling, very fun to drive. If you find one of these cars that is not abused and had a manual transmission. IT will last forever. My last Mazda went 326,000 miles before getting hit by a semi.

More power, less body roll.

Good...So far
By Bob

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I've just hit 97K on my '97 DX. The temp. sensor had to be replaced (thankfully under warranty) and the front tires wear down quickly. Other than that, my 626 has been good. I am a little worried about the transmission. No problems yet, but reading other reviews, it seems problems start around 100K. It makes me a little nervous. The car is a bit heavy for the size engine. The resale isn't that great (I am looking into a Camry/Accord, possibly trading in the 626 before problems possibly start). Overall, my experience has been good, so no horror stories. But I wish I had known the 626 was built in the same factory as the Ford Probe.

Interior is nice, handles well enough. I get good city mileage (26 mpg). Heats up quickly in winter.

Don't partner with Ford. Pick-up could be better.