1997 Mazda 626 Sedan Consumer Reviews 3

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Don't buy this piece of junk!
By Dez on 04/17/05 20:05 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle new and it has been a headache. The transmission had to be replaced at 24,000 miles, the steering column twice, the timing belt at 1,000 miles, and a few other things. The engine light keeps coming on, fuel economy stinks, and the transmission is still bad. All in all, $4,000 bucks have been put towards this car. I still think something's wrong with it and I can't figure out what.

Reliable car
By Axis72 on 06/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 626DX brand new and have had great luck with the car. I know have 80k miles on it and have had no problems with it. My only complaint is the car is very underpowered with the 4cyl even with the 5speed. The interior is roomy and comfortable for long trips. Great gas milage!!

Salesman
By carroll on 02/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Quit ride,good milage,fun to drive. best car I have owned in 50 years. Lowest cost to operate.

Never Buy a Mazda 626
By traceyj406 on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have a 97 Mazda 626 which I purchased from Rick Case Mazda. This car has been a nightmare to own. The scoundrels at Rick Case Mazda use dirty tricks when selling cars to women and minorities. It drives well. After the 4th year, it loses some of its power to accelerate quickly. Accelerating with the air makes it worst.The transmission went out approaching 100,000 mile. I had to get the brakes shoes fixed every 6 months. The Mazda 626 is reliable. It has never left me stranded without me knowing it was about to breakdown. The Mazda is really Ford under the hood, like the bad transmission and engine. I would never buy another Ford disguised as a Mazda!

Great car for teens
By The grip on 01/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan

I bought mine for my son when he turned 16 in May of 86 for $7500. It's all black,tinted the windows dark , put in a better stereo, new wheels. Man, I think I have more fun driving it than him!

Great Purchase
By David Zach on 10/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I purposely bought this car to last me many years and to put 200,000 miles on it. It's been 6 going on 7 years and I have 150,000+ and it's running strong. Feels like the day I bought it. Only routine maintenance with a few small problems over the period of time as well. I would drive this thing into the ground and get a few more years out of it, but my wife just got a company can and we have to get rid of one. Unfortunately it's ol' reliable.

fair
By tom bouwsma on 08/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

it is ok it is my first car so it works out well. I wonder why mazda would put a little 4 in that car needs a v 6. It runs well no major prombles with it. It is slow off the line but it has some higher up power when in the 40's. The power windows are very slow going up and down.

Reliable but not exciting
By R-Mstr on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought a lightly diven used 626. This was my third. My reason for choosing the 626 is that they are almost as good as a Camry but are much cheaper in the used car market. Reliability is my main criteria for purchasing a used car and I have had good luck with 626's. If you buy them right and maintain them well, they are very economical to own and drive. This is the first one I have owned with an automatic and it is really underpowered. It is ok on the highway at cruising speed but anywhere else it is very sluggish. I had very littl trouble with this one until an oak tree fell on it.

MAZDA MAKES A GREAT CAR
By ace318 on 07/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This is our second Mazda--bought because the first 626 was a blast to drive & 100% reliable past 100K miles when we traded it. Same has been true for this one. Mileage is great (about 30 on highway, 20-22 in city), and it still looks like a new car. Have researched potential next vehicles and--looks like, if we do trade, it'll probably be for a Mazda6 (Honda Accord & Toyota Camry just seem frumpy in comparison). These cars make driving fun--without fiscal sacrifice.

Bland but good
By SteveWI on 06/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought the car as a replacement for a 91 Mazda 626 GT which was totalled... but the 91 saved my life. The 97 is not nearly the crisp handling car that the older one was. The v6 is a necessity - it's a powerful motor, although hampered by a transmission that is slow to react. Stock stereo is weak. Handling is better than most family cars of the size, and I still like the way it looks. NO major repairs have been needed on mine, it just works right every time.