Used 1997 Mazda 626 DX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Getting me around!
By farrous13

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Had this car for almost 2 years now. I had to buy a car fast during that time so I stumbled upon this Mazda. Was a good value so I bought it. Let me tell you, the transmission is weak. Very weak. You put the gear on 2nd and the car will barely move. I felt the difference coming from a 95'Nissan MaximaGLE. Handling is responsive.Lots of body roll on turns to the point I feel the car is going to flip. I had to replace the alternator and its belt. Replaced the wiper connection rod.The transmission is due to fail anytime. When I switch to reverse,the RPM reaches1500 for it to start rolling back. Anyways,I use this car to commute to work,but if I can go back in time I wouldn't have bought this car.

Favorite Features

The sound system is not bad for a cheap car!

Suggested Improvements

Well its too old to mention any improvements.

Wow .... 225,000 miles
By KLong

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car has been great. I bought it used with 42,000 miles on it in 2002. Nothing major has gone wrong with the car. It is a little to small for a family car. Gas mileage isn't very good. Overall, this has been a solid car.

Favorite Features

Reliable car

Good...So far
By Bob

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I've just hit 97K on my '97 DX. The temp. sensor had to be replaced (thankfully under warranty) and the front tires wear down quickly. Other than that, my 626 has been good. I am a little worried about the transmission. No problems yet, but reading other reviews, it seems problems start around 100K. It makes me a little nervous. The car is a bit heavy for the size engine. The resale isn't that great (I am looking into a Camry/Accord, possibly trading in the 626 before problems possibly start). Overall, my experience has been good, so no horror stories. But I wish I had known the 626 was built in the same factory as the Ford Probe.

Favorite Features

Interior is nice, handles well enough. I get good city mileage (26 mpg). Heats up quickly in winter.

Suggested Improvements

Don't partner with Ford. Pick-up could be better.

Reliable car
By Axis72

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 626DX brand new and have had great luck with the car. I know have 80k miles on it and have had no problems with it. My only complaint is the car is very underpowered with the 4cyl even with the 5speed. The interior is roomy and comfortable for long trips. Great gas milage!!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage!!! Good looking car for the price. 5 Speed manual is smooth shifting. Air condition is awesome with the power vents that circulate the air nicely.

Suggested Improvements

4cyl needs more standard power.

Salesman
By carroll

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Quit ride,good milage,fun to drive. best car I have owned in 50 years. Lowest cost to operate.

Favorite Features

overdrive automatic. CD changer, theft alarm.

Suggested Improvements

none