1997 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
My Car Gretta...
By jkriley on 01/19/13 05:31 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I've seen a lot of bad reviews on here about the mazda 626 and I just have to say mine has been through my sister and myself and it's still going. It's over 200,000 and we both have put little to no money into this car. After I get another car I plan on giving it to my father to let him drive it till it dies. It may have slight issues but it's over 15 years old so I can't complain. I think my alternator might be going bad now but I'm assuming it was never replaced before so for 200,000 miles and the little cost I've had to spend I say it's not bad.

a decent car with Issues
By dylan117 on 01/07/13 08:33 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

The 626 Would be a great little car, but it seems to always have something wrong. Firstly, by the time I got the car just over 100,000 Miles, A CV needed to be replaced. Later it was discovered that the engine produced prodigious amounts of smoke upon starting after sitting. this is one of the main problems with the car, The 626's of this year are well known for having very poor valve stem seals. The car uses about 2 quarts per 200 miles. After, it was also discovered that the Coil springs on both front sides were actually cracked and about to fall off the mounts, and that both ball joints needed to be swapped out. In my opinion, once these cars get a few miles they tend to lose reliabilit

Built for the Long Haul
By LongestMazdaOwner on 05/16/10 16:26 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I am a proud 10 year owner of this vehicle. It has been very reliable throughout the years. After approximately 200,000 miles my transmission needed rebuilding which I thought wasn't bad considering the mileage. Also, I had to get my timing belt tensioner replaced a few years earlier, but overall, it has been a great car. I probably would get another one if the prices of the cars would remain low. Unfortunately they haven't and I am still driving my good old Mazda. I hope it will be around for another 10 years.

Still Chugging Along
By Teslan on 05/06/10 18:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Two years on since I last reviewed this car. Yesterday I passed 180,000 miles! Incredibly reliable, comfortable and fun to drive. I hope to get 2 more years out of this gem, then I'll see about looking at the soon to arrive Mazda 2. By that point, I'll have been driving this car for 15 years. Mazda, head and shoulders above the other manufacturers, producing dependable enjoyable cars.

Mazda 626
By Danielle on 01/07/10 09:57 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

My family bought this car brand new and it ran pretty well until about 2007 when it started to have several issues (mostly because of age). The interior fell apart (visor fell off, most radio buttons gone, passenger mirror light on all of the time because the plastic part on top fell apart). The cruise control never worked. It shifted into overdrive randomly and was very shaky when this happened. We also had a leaky trunk that lead to a mildew smell. The transmission failed around 150,000 miles and was replaced luckily cheap for around $500.00. Since then the gas and breaks have been very touchy and because of this I hate driving it and am glad that I bought a Ford Mustang :)

Surprisingly good
By karentay on 08/07/09 20:17 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 119,000 miles as a first car and have had it for four years. I am surprised to say that this car has treated me very well. Before I bought the 626, I heard that the transmission can be quite a problem, but luckily I've had no major breakdowns. The only things I've really had to fix were due to the age of the car. At 12 years, this car is still going strong for me.

2nd used Mazda-still happy
By Nebraska on 06/19/09 22:11 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought them ('95 & '97) as School Cars, although Dad drives 'em too! Fun, Zippy, fuel efficient cars! $1,000 paid for 97. LX 4 cyl 5 speed, 180,000 miles--needs some TLC /body work, tires, brakes--but solid, no rust, and runs great. 1995 Mazda still going strong and at College with Oldest Son. This one (1997) has a Sunroof, all the trims, and runs really well. Simple design. Don't know why Mazda doesn't bring this model back--simple, inexpensive, frugal car. They'd sell more than they did in the 90's. Good road car--despite small stature--here in the Mid-west.

Good until 100K, then Boom
By coldstorage5 on 04/11/09 13:37 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Hi, I bought this car with 30K, Did routine maintenance, can ran well until tranny blew at 103K.. What a nightmare. Learned that it is a ford tranny, poor fit. It has not never been the same. Brought it back numerous times, they cant figure it out.

Never gonna die!
By teslan on 05/30/08 11:46 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in the summer of 1997 and have loved it throughout the years. It now has 154,000 miles on it and has been super reliable. The exterior design and style of the car have held up. When I wash it and clean it up, it looks as good as anything on the road. Doesn't have a lot of power but gets great gas mileage. Following the speed limit I average 33 to 35 mpg. The interior is roomy, good quality and very comfortable. Too bad most people ignore the Mazda brand. We've had two Proteges and they too were terrific cars. I don't think this car's ever going to die. I'll hold onto it until it gives up the ghost!

Reliable
By 97-626 on 09/05/07 13:52 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have a 97 626LX 5 speed with 211,000 miles, and the car has been absolutely perfect. Seems most complaints here are from the auto trans. I owned an 85 626 from new and sold it in 97 with 193k miles, when I bought this one. Still have original clutch, alternator, hoses, and all major components. Regular oil changes and maintenance. Would highly recommend the 5 speed 626.