1997 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Getting me around!
By farrous13 on 03/20/10 14:42 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Had this car for almost 2 years now. I had to buy a car fast during that time so I stumbled upon this Mazda. Was a good value so I bought it. Let me tell you, the transmission is weak. Very weak. You put the gear on 2nd and the car will barely move. I felt the difference coming from a 95'Nissan MaximaGLE. Handling is responsive.Lots of body roll on turns to the point I feel the car is going to flip. I had to replace the alternator and its belt. Replaced the wiper connection rod.The transmission is due to fail anytime. When I switch to reverse,the RPM reaches1500 for it to start rolling back. Anyways,I use this car to commute to work,but if I can go back in time I wouldn't have bought this car.

Wow .... 225,000 miles
By KLong on 06/13/08 06:03 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car has been great. I bought it used with 42,000 miles on it in 2002. Nothing major has gone wrong with the car. It is a little to small for a family car. Gas mileage isn't very good. Overall, this has been a solid car.

Good...So far
By Bob on 07/09/05 13:39 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I've just hit 97K on my '97 DX. The temp. sensor had to be replaced (thankfully under warranty) and the front tires wear down quickly. Other than that, my 626 has been good. I am a little worried about the transmission. No problems yet, but reading other reviews, it seems problems start around 100K. It makes me a little nervous. The car is a bit heavy for the size engine. The resale isn't that great (I am looking into a Camry/Accord, possibly trading in the 626 before problems possibly start). Overall, my experience has been good, so no horror stories. But I wish I had known the 626 was built in the same factory as the Ford Probe.

Reliable car
By Axis72 on 06/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 626DX brand new and have had great luck with the car. I know have 80k miles on it and have had no problems with it. My only complaint is the car is very underpowered with the 4cyl even with the 5speed. The interior is roomy and comfortable for long trips. Great gas milage!!

Salesman
By carroll on 02/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Quit ride,good milage,fun to drive. best car I have owned in 50 years. Lowest cost to operate.

Never Buy a Mazda 626
By traceyj406 on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have a 97 Mazda 626 which I purchased from Rick Case Mazda. This car has been a nightmare to own. The scoundrels at Rick Case Mazda use dirty tricks when selling cars to women and minorities. It drives well. After the 4th year, it loses some of its power to accelerate quickly. Accelerating with the air makes it worst.The transmission went out approaching 100,000 mile. I had to get the brakes shoes fixed every 6 months. The Mazda 626 is reliable. It has never left me stranded without me knowing it was about to breakdown. The Mazda is really Ford under the hood, like the bad transmission and engine. I would never buy another Ford disguised as a Mazda!

Junk--Don't Buy One!
By Paxman on 03/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 626 DX with 63,000 miles last May from a buddy for $4500.00-- thought I was getting a good deal. In less than 11,000 miles the following has happened: exhaust fell off, front brakes + rotors had to be replaced, CV joint replaced, radiator had a hole in it, clutch went out and all four struts are shot. Some deal. Trade value on this dog is nothing, so I'm fixing it and putting it up for sale so I don't totally lose my shirt.

Never Again!!!
By Never Again! on 09/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Just like many 626 owners, I had major transmission trouble. My transmission went out at 55,000 miles ($2,800) and was on its way out again. Too many other problems to mention. All I can say is 3 things: 1) that I almost spent the same amount of money fixing this car as I did when I purchased it - 2) I will never buy another 626 and 3) the VISA credit card company loved this car. If you are buying a 626 then start saving your money for new transmissions because you will go through at least 1 but probably 2.

great on gas
By sylvester on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

i got the dx with the 5sp, and i get 35 mpg average (mostly highway). Suspension soaks up the bumps pretty good for a car its size, and handles crisply but its a little soft on the harder turns. The car could definitely use more power--114 hp is just not enough to pull away quickly, but once moving on the highway cruises nicely and has passing ability. One major complaint is the tire/road noise, and the worst dealer network and customer support going. I have to service mine at the ford/mazda dealer because the mazda dealer where i bought it is the WORST and the customer support at mazda was useless. Even though the car overall has been good--i will look at nissan & even GM next time around.

Don't even think about buying one..
By capnspa on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

As with most 626 owners I have a transmission going out.. Hesitates between 2nd and 3rd gear, overdrive light begins flashing, overdrive will kick out at higher speeds. I still owe $5000 and am stuck.. Transmission will cost around $2000. I am trading it in on a Nissan or Honda. You might as well buy a 64 Rambler, it would be more dependable. Mazda should recall but won't give up the money.. Transmission is definitely flawed in a big way..