Used 1997 Mazda 626 LX V6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Good ol Mazda
By johntesh71

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

Had one of these as my first car, bought it with 197,000 miles and experienced one problem after the next. The car had horrible power steering problems, brakes went bad after one month, then the alternator left me stranded in a busy intersection. Once all the problems were fixed...Very reliable car, gutsy little engine and very well made. I was upset when this car got stolen from me only 6 months after buying it...but life goes on and so does Mazda....Zoom, Zoom!

Favorite Features

The V6 was very strong and gutsy.....faster than you what u would think for a mid sizer.

Suggested Improvements

Less tacky appearance, more of that Mazda sportiness and charm.

A nightmare to remember!
By christian6657

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I was given the car when it had only 37k miles on it now the car is only 52k miles and I've replaced the alternator about 3 times after being left in the middle of the streets several times, the transmission is leaking rivers of red oil, the axis is been always a problem and each day is worse and worse and the car's engine is always getting hot. Each time I try to correct the problem, it comes back like 2 months later. I've spent 1000s of dollars in fixing this car and NOTHING. In fact, I'll never buy a Mazda again in my life, this is a true disaster. Seriously, stay away from the 626!

Favorite Features

Good air conditioning, despite the couple of fixing I've done to it.

Suggested Improvements

I think the people deserves better quality cars, a car in which we can trust.

Would buy again
By J Hohler

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new. Got an excellent deal because nobody wanted a V6 with a 5 speed. This car is a blast to drive. We had it now for 9 years with no major problem. Most expensive repair was replacing the timing belt, other than that basic maintenance. I would buy this car again.

Favorite Features

The V6 with the 5 speed. manual transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Fit and finish of the dashboard.

Great Purchase
By David Zach

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I purposely bought this car to last me many years and to put 200,000 miles on it. It's been 6 going on 7 years and I have 150,000+ and it's running strong. Feels like the day I bought it. Only routine maintenance with a few small problems over the period of time as well. I would drive this thing into the ground and get a few more years out of it, but my wife just got a company can and we have to get rid of one. Unfortunately it's ol' reliable.

Favorite Features

Air vents that occillate.

Suggested Improvements

50 more HP would have been perfect!

Bland but good
By SteveWI

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought the car as a replacement for a 91 Mazda 626 GT which was totalled... but the 91 saved my life. The 97 is not nearly the crisp handling car that the older one was. The v6 is a necessity - it's a powerful motor, although hampered by a transmission that is slow to react. Stock stereo is weak. Handling is better than most family cars of the size, and I still like the way it looks. NO major repairs have been needed on mine, it just works right every time.

Favorite Features

V6 power, swinging vents on the AC, Sunroof, nice alloy wheels and 16 meats help road grip. Awesome passing power.

Suggested Improvements

Go with a manual tranny and plan on buying a good aftermarket stereo if you like it loud.