Used 1997 Mazda 626 LX V6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

My 1997 Mazda 626 LX V6 5-Speed
By greymeyer

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

This was my first real car. Bought it with only 45k miles on it. Owned by a sweet little old lady. Knowing about the partnership between Mazda and Ford, at first I was skeptical about the purchase. But at $3,500 the price was right and we purchased the car. I'm so glad we did as it's been the best we have ever owned. Never once did we have an issue with it. My commute to work was an hour round trip and we frequented the mountains often. As an auto-enthusiast, you can't find a more fun to drive four door sedan for the money. The 5-speed is quick and easy to shift and it mates well to Mazda's unique KL-DE V6 engine. Sadly it was totaled just yesterday when a woman ran a red and hit me.

Sweet KL-DE V6 engine, wonderful 5-speed, great drivers car, clean, simple interior, good leg room for all, great trunk space, super reliable, fun to drive!

AC fan motor was always a bit weak. Went through tires fast, but that may just be due to my driving style. Distributor went out on us once (poorly designed Ford part). The automatic versions of this car seem to have problems (again, Ford part). Stick with the manual and you'll never have any problems.

Good ol Mazda
By johntesh71

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

Had one of these as my first car, bought it with 197,000 miles and experienced one problem after the next. The car had horrible power steering problems, brakes went bad after one month, then the alternator left me stranded in a busy intersection. Once all the problems were fixed...Very reliable car, gutsy little engine and very well made. I was upset when this car got stolen from me only 6 months after buying it...but life goes on and so does Mazda....Zoom, Zoom!

The V6 was very strong and gutsy.....faster than you what u would think for a mid sizer.

Less tacky appearance, more of that Mazda sportiness and charm.

A nightmare to remember!
By christian6657

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I was given the car when it had only 37k miles on it now the car is only 52k miles and I've replaced the alternator about 3 times after being left in the middle of the streets several times, the transmission is leaking rivers of red oil, the axis is been always a problem and each day is worse and worse and the car's engine is always getting hot. Each time I try to correct the problem, it comes back like 2 months later. I've spent 1000s of dollars in fixing this car and NOTHING. In fact, I'll never buy a Mazda again in my life, this is a true disaster. Seriously, stay away from the 626!

Good air conditioning, despite the couple of fixing I've done to it.

I think the people deserves better quality cars, a car in which we can trust.

Would buy again
By J Hohler

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new. Got an excellent deal because nobody wanted a V6 with a 5 speed. This car is a blast to drive. We had it now for 9 years with no major problem. Most expensive repair was replacing the timing belt, other than that basic maintenance. I would buy this car again.

The V6 with the 5 speed. manual transmission.

Fit and finish of the dashboard.

Great Purchase
By David Zach

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I purposely bought this car to last me many years and to put 200,000 miles on it. It's been 6 going on 7 years and I have 150,000+ and it's running strong. Feels like the day I bought it. Only routine maintenance with a few small problems over the period of time as well. I would drive this thing into the ground and get a few more years out of it, but my wife just got a company can and we have to get rid of one. Unfortunately it's ol' reliable.

Air vents that occillate.

50 more HP would have been perfect!