1997 Mazda 626 LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

My Car Gretta...
By jkriley

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I've seen a lot of bad reviews on here about the mazda 626 and I just have to say mine has been through my sister and myself and it's still going. It's over 200,000 and we both have put little to no money into this car. After I get another car I plan on giving it to my father to let him drive it till it dies. It may have slight issues but it's over 15 years old so I can't complain. I think my alternator might be going bad now but I'm assuming it was never replaced before so for 200,000 miles and the little cost I've had to spend I say it's not bad.

a decent car with Issues
By dylan117

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

The 626 Would be a great little car, but it seems to always have something wrong. Firstly, by the time I got the car just over 100,000 Miles, A CV needed to be replaced. Later it was discovered that the engine produced prodigious amounts of smoke upon starting after sitting. this is one of the main problems with the car, The 626's of this year are well known for having very poor valve stem seals. The car uses about 2 quarts per 200 miles. After, it was also discovered that the Coil springs on both front sides were actually cracked and about to fall off the mounts, and that both ball joints needed to be swapped out. In my opinion, once these cars get a few miles they tend to lose reliabilit

Favorite Features

-Good transmission -decent comfort for a small car -good speakers

Suggested Improvements

-Engine has very poor valve stems, prone to premature wear and failure, and also burning oil causes premature exhaust system rusting -Suspension and running gear seem to not last.

Good ol Mazda
By johntesh71

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

Had one of these as my first car, bought it with 197,000 miles and experienced one problem after the next. The car had horrible power steering problems, brakes went bad after one month, then the alternator left me stranded in a busy intersection. Once all the problems were fixed...Very reliable car, gutsy little engine and very well made. I was upset when this car got stolen from me only 6 months after buying it...but life goes on and so does Mazda....Zoom, Zoom!

Favorite Features

The V6 was very strong and gutsy.....faster than you what u would think for a mid sizer.

Suggested Improvements

Less tacky appearance, more of that Mazda sportiness and charm.

Built for the Long Haul
By LongestMazdaOwner

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I am a proud 10 year owner of this vehicle. It has been very reliable throughout the years. After approximately 200,000 miles my transmission needed rebuilding which I thought wasn't bad considering the mileage. Also, I had to get my timing belt tensioner replaced a few years earlier, but overall, it has been a great car. I probably would get another one if the prices of the cars would remain low. Unfortunately they haven't and I am still driving my good old Mazda. I hope it will be around for another 10 years.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room for the rear passengers, a different color dashboard light display

A nightmare to remember!
By christian6657

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I was given the car when it had only 37k miles on it now the car is only 52k miles and I've replaced the alternator about 3 times after being left in the middle of the streets several times, the transmission is leaking rivers of red oil, the axis is been always a problem and each day is worse and worse and the car's engine is always getting hot. Each time I try to correct the problem, it comes back like 2 months later. I've spent 1000s of dollars in fixing this car and NOTHING. In fact, I'll never buy a Mazda again in my life, this is a true disaster. Seriously, stay away from the 626!

Favorite Features

Good air conditioning, despite the couple of fixing I've done to it.

Suggested Improvements

I think the people deserves better quality cars, a car in which we can trust.

Still Chugging Along
By Teslan

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Two years on since I last reviewed this car. Yesterday I passed 180,000 miles! Incredibly reliable, comfortable and fun to drive. I hope to get 2 more years out of this gem, then I'll see about looking at the soon to arrive Mazda 2. By that point, I'll have been driving this car for 15 years. Mazda, head and shoulders above the other manufacturers, producing dependable enjoyable cars.

Favorite Features

Style and comfort, easy peppy driving.

Suggested Improvements

Better locking system, better power windows.

Getting me around!
By farrous13

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Had this car for almost 2 years now. I had to buy a car fast during that time so I stumbled upon this Mazda. Was a good value so I bought it. Let me tell you, the transmission is weak. Very weak. You put the gear on 2nd and the car will barely move. I felt the difference coming from a 95'Nissan MaximaGLE. Handling is responsive.Lots of body roll on turns to the point I feel the car is going to flip. I had to replace the alternator and its belt. Replaced the wiper connection rod.The transmission is due to fail anytime. When I switch to reverse,the RPM reaches1500 for it to start rolling back. Anyways,I use this car to commute to work,but if I can go back in time I wouldn't have bought this car.

Favorite Features

The sound system is not bad for a cheap car!

Suggested Improvements

Well its too old to mention any improvements.

Mazda 626
By Danielle

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

My family bought this car brand new and it ran pretty well until about 2007 when it started to have several issues (mostly because of age). The interior fell apart (visor fell off, most radio buttons gone, passenger mirror light on all of the time because the plastic part on top fell apart). The cruise control never worked. It shifted into overdrive randomly and was very shaky when this happened. We also had a leaky trunk that lead to a mildew smell. The transmission failed around 150,000 miles and was replaced luckily cheap for around $500.00. Since then the gas and breaks have been very touchy and because of this I hate driving it and am glad that I bought a Ford Mustang :)

Favorite Features

Um. The only thing I liked about it was that it got from point A to point B MOST of the time. It was decent in snow when we had good tires, which was very important.

Suggested Improvements

The air conditioning always made a funny whistling noise on the highway, which puzzled all of the mechanics we had look at it. The interior could have been a little more durable, and the automatic transmission was unreliable and the car left me stranded several times.

Surprisingly good
By karentay

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 119,000 miles as a first car and have had it for four years. I am surprised to say that this car has treated me very well. Before I bought the 626, I heard that the transmission can be quite a problem, but luckily I've had no major breakdowns. The only things I've really had to fix were due to the age of the car. At 12 years, this car is still going strong for me.

2nd used Mazda-still happy
By Nebraska

1997 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought them ('95 & '97) as School Cars, although Dad drives 'em too! Fun, Zippy, fuel efficient cars! $1,000 paid for 97. LX 4 cyl 5 speed, 180,000 miles--needs some TLC /body work, tires, brakes--but solid, no rust, and runs great. 1995 Mazda still going strong and at College with Oldest Son. This one (1997) has a Sunroof, all the trims, and runs really well. Simple design. Don't know why Mazda doesn't bring this model back--simple, inexpensive, frugal car. They'd sell more than they did in the 90's. Good road car--despite small stature--here in the Mid-west.

Favorite Features

Sunroof. 35 mpg on Hi-way. Zippy. Fun 5 speed.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the 626. Add 15 horsepower to the I-4 (ie. 140 bhp) , skip the auto transmission (and all the problems with Q.C.) and Sell it for $13,000 (new)--Mazda would sell lots!