Used 1997 Mazda 626 LX Consumer Reviews - 32 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

My "Mean Green Janine"
By KT

1997 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I've had my Mazda 626 for 2 years now, my first car I bought on my own, and sadly I will be parting with her this weekend due to a bad transmission. It had a leak and ...the short of it is the whole transmission needs rebuilt...going to cost me about half of what I bought it for in the first place, so I decided it isn't worth fixing, and I do want something a little bit bigger.

I LOVE my sunroof, power windows and mirrors, CD player, things you wouldn't really expect to see in a car that old. The trunk is HUGE, perfect for all my instruments, workout gear, and school stuff during college. The Heat and AC, lights, windows, cigarette lighter, cassette and Cd player all work perfectly.

Before the transmission issues, the only problem I can say is it's a little shoddy at accelerating, especially when going uphill. And also the volume dial on the radio never worked...but that's just a little quirk I put up with. I really love this car and I expected it to last me at least another 2 years, maybe I'm too sentimental, but I'm really going to miss this car. There's just a certain charm about her. I'm sad to think of her being scrapped for parts. It really is a great car, except for this transmission issue.

My Car Gretta...
By jkriley

1997 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I've seen a lot of bad reviews on here about the mazda 626 and I just have to say mine has been through my sister and myself and it's still going. It's over 200,000 and we both have put little to no money into this car. After I get another car I plan on giving it to my father to let him drive it till it dies. It may have slight issues but it's over 15 years old so I can't complain. I think my alternator might be going bad now but I'm assuming it was never replaced before so for 200,000 miles and the little cost I've had to spend I say it's not bad.

a decent car with Issues
By dylan117

1997 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

The 626 Would be a great little car, but it seems to always have something wrong. Firstly, by the time I got the car just over 100,000 Miles, A CV
needed to be replaced. Later
it was discovered that the engine produced prodigious amounts of smoke upon starting after sitting. this is one of the main problems with the car, The 626's of this year are well known for having very poor valve stem seals. The car uses about 2 quarts per 200 miles. After, it was also discovered that the Coil springs on both front sides were actually cracked and about to fall off the mounts, and that both ball joints needed to be swapped out. In my opinion, once these cars get a few miles they tend to lose reliabilit

-Good transmission -decent comfort for a small car -good speakers

-Engine has very poor valve stems, prone to premature wear and failure, and also burning oil causes premature exhaust system rusting -Suspension and running gear seem to not last.

Built for the Long Haul
By LongestMazdaOwner

1997 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I am a proud 10 year owner of this vehicle. It has been very reliable throughout the years. After approximately 200,000 miles my transmission needed rebuilding which I thought wasn't bad considering the mileage. Also, I had to get my timing belt tensioner replaced a few years earlier, but overall, it has been a great car. I probably would get another one if the prices of the cars would remain low. Unfortunately they haven't and I am still driving my good old Mazda. I hope it will be around for another 10 years.

More leg room for the rear passengers, a different color dashboard light display

Still Chugging Along
By Teslan

1997 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Two years on since I last reviewed this car. Yesterday I passed 180,000 miles! Incredibly reliable, comfortable and fun to drive. I hope to get 2 more years out of this gem, then I'll see about looking at the soon to arrive Mazda 2. By that point, I'll have been driving this car for 15 years. Mazda, head and shoulders above the other manufacturers, producing dependable enjoyable cars.

Style and comfort, easy peppy driving.

Better locking system, better power windows.