1997 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Good ol Mazda
By johntesh71 on 09/22/11 09:04 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

Had one of these as my first car, bought it with 197,000 miles and experienced one problem after the next. The car had horrible power steering problems, brakes went bad after one month, then the alternator left me stranded in a busy intersection. Once all the problems were fixed...Very reliable car, gutsy little engine and very well made. I was upset when this car got stolen from me only 6 months after buying it...but life goes on and so does Mazda....Zoom, Zoom!

A nightmare to remember!
By christian6657 on 05/11/10 23:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

I was given the car when it had only 37k miles on it now the car is only 52k miles and I've replaced the alternator about 3 times after being left in the middle of the streets several times, the transmission is leaking rivers of red oil, the axis is been always a problem and each day is worse and worse and the car's engine is always getting hot. Each time I try to correct the problem, it comes back like 2 months later. I've spent 1000s of dollars in fixing this car and NOTHING. In fact, I'll never buy a Mazda again in my life, this is a true disaster. Seriously, stay away from the 626!

Would buy again
By J Hohler on 09/01/06 19:05 PM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new. Got an excellent deal because nobody wanted a V6 with a 5 speed. This car is a blast to drive. We had it now for 9 years with no major problem. Most expensive repair was replacing the timing belt, other than that basic maintenance. I would buy this car again.

Great Purchase
By David Zach on 10/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

I purposely bought this car to last me many years and to put 200,000 miles on it. It's been 6 going on 7 years and I have 150,000+ and it's running strong. Feels like the day I bought it. Only routine maintenance with a few small problems over the period of time as well. I would drive this thing into the ground and get a few more years out of it, but my wife just got a company can and we have to get rid of one. Unfortunately it's ol' reliable.

Bland but good
By SteveWI on 06/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought the car as a replacement for a 91 Mazda 626 GT which was totalled... but the 91 saved my life. The 97 is not nearly the crisp handling car that the older one was. The v6 is a necessity - it's a powerful motor, although hampered by a transmission that is slow to react. Stock stereo is weak. Handling is better than most family cars of the size, and I still like the way it looks. NO major repairs have been needed on mine, it just works right every time.

Glad I Got the 5 Speed
By rjgonzalez on 10/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

After reading the other reviews, I am glad that I got mine with the manual transmission. It has the 6 cylinder, so it is more fun than the 4 and I average in the uppper 20's around town and in the 30's on the highway. I have over 100K miles on it and I haven't had any major problems, but have had to replace the CV joints at 90K and the rear stablizer bar end link. It still has the original battery at 5 1/2 years, though I will replace it before winter. The clutch still feels tight at 101K and the engine still runs smooth and doesn't burn any oil. I have had to get pieces of the exhaust system replaced, but so far has only cost me about $100.