Used 1997 Mazda 626 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Good ol Mazda
By johntesh71

1997 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

Had one of these as my first car, bought it with 197,000 miles and experienced one problem after the next. The car had horrible power steering problems, brakes went bad after one month, then the alternator left me stranded in a busy intersection. Once all the problems were fixed...Very reliable car, gutsy little engine and very well made. I was upset when this car got stolen from me only 6 months after buying it...but life goes on and so does Mazda....Zoom, Zoom!

Favorite Features

The V6 was very strong and gutsy.....faster than you what u would think for a mid sizer.

Suggested Improvements

Less tacky appearance, more of that Mazda sportiness and charm.

A nightmare to remember!
By christian6657

1997 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

I was given the car when it had only 37k miles on it now the car is only 52k miles and I've replaced the alternator about 3 times after being left in the middle of the streets several times, the transmission is leaking rivers of red oil, the axis is been always a problem and each day is worse and worse and the car's engine is always getting hot. Each time I try to correct the problem, it comes back like 2 months later. I've spent 1000s of dollars in fixing this car and NOTHING. In fact, I'll never buy a Mazda again in my life, this is a true disaster. Seriously, stay away from the 626!

Favorite Features

Good air conditioning, despite the couple of fixing I've done to it.

Suggested Improvements

I think the people deserves better quality cars, a car in which we can trust.

a decent car with Issues
By dylan117

1997 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

The 626 Would be a great little car, but it seems to always have something wrong. Firstly, by the time I got the car just over 100,000 Miles, A CV needed to be replaced. Later it was discovered that the engine produced prodigious amounts of smoke upon starting after sitting. this is one of the main problems with the car, The 626's of this year are well known for having very poor valve stem seals. The car uses about 2 quarts per 200 miles. After, it was also discovered that the Coil springs on both front sides were actually cracked and about to fall off the mounts, and that both ball joints needed to be swapped out. In my opinion, once these cars get a few miles they tend to lose reliabilit

Favorite Features

-Good transmission -decent comfort for a small car -good speakers

Suggested Improvements

-Engine has very poor valve stems, prone to premature wear and failure, and also burning oil causes premature exhaust system rusting -Suspension and running gear seem to not last.

Built for the Long Haul
By LongestMazdaOwner

1997 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I am a proud 10 year owner of this vehicle. It has been very reliable throughout the years. After approximately 200,000 miles my transmission needed rebuilding which I thought wasn't bad considering the mileage. Also, I had to get my timing belt tensioner replaced a few years earlier, but overall, it has been a great car. I probably would get another one if the prices of the cars would remain low. Unfortunately they haven't and I am still driving my good old Mazda. I hope it will be around for another 10 years.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room for the rear passengers, a different color dashboard light display

My Car Gretta...
By jkriley

1997 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I've seen a lot of bad reviews on here about the mazda 626 and I just have to say mine has been through my sister and myself and it's still going. It's over 200,000 and we both have put little to no money into this car. After I get another car I plan on giving it to my father to let him drive it till it dies. It may have slight issues but it's over 15 years old so I can't complain. I think my alternator might be going bad now but I'm assuming it was never replaced before so for 200,000 miles and the little cost I've had to spend I say it's not bad.