Used 1997 Mazda 626 Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

My "Mean Green Janine"
By KT

1997 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I've had my Mazda 626 for 2 years now, my first car I bought on my own, and sadly I will be parting with her this weekend due to a bad transmission. It had a leak and ...the short of it is the whole transmission needs rebuilt...going to cost me about half of what I bought it for in the first place, so I decided it isn't worth fixing, and I do want something a little bit bigger.

I LOVE my sunroof, power windows and mirrors, CD player, things you wouldn't really expect to see in a car that old. The trunk is HUGE, perfect for all my instruments, workout gear, and school stuff during college. The Heat and AC, lights, windows, cigarette lighter, cassette and Cd player all work perfectly.

Before the transmission issues, the only problem I can say is it's a little shoddy at accelerating, especially when going uphill. And also the volume dial on the radio never worked...but that's just a little quirk I put up with. I really love this car and I expected it to last me at least another 2 years, maybe I'm too sentimental, but I'm really going to miss this car. There's just a certain charm about her. I'm sad to think of her being scrapped for parts. It really is a great car, except for this transmission issue.

My 1997 Mazda 626 LX V6 5-Speed
By greymeyer

1997 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

This was my first real car. Bought it with only 45k miles on it. Owned by a sweet little old lady. Knowing about the partnership between Mazda and Ford, at first I was skeptical about the purchase. But at $3,500 the price was right and we purchased the car. I'm so glad we did as it's been the best we have ever owned. Never once did we have an issue with it. My commute to work was an hour round trip and we frequented the mountains often. As an auto-enthusiast, you can't find a more fun to drive four door sedan for the money. The 5-speed is quick and easy to shift and it mates well to Mazda's unique KL-DE V6 engine. Sadly it was totaled just yesterday when a woman ran a red and hit me.

Sweet KL-DE V6 engine, wonderful 5-speed, great drivers car, clean, simple interior, good leg room for all, great trunk space, super reliable, fun to drive!

AC fan motor was always a bit weak. Went through tires fast, but that may just be due to my driving style. Distributor went out on us once (poorly designed Ford part). The automatic versions of this car seem to have problems (again, Ford part). Stick with the manual and you'll never have any problems.

My Car Gretta...
By jkriley

1997 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I've seen a lot of bad reviews on here about the mazda 626 and I just have to say mine has been through my sister and myself and it's still going. It's over 200,000 and we both have put little to no money into this car. After I get another car I plan on giving it to my father to let him drive it till it dies. It may have slight issues but it's over 15 years old so I can't complain. I think my alternator might be going bad now but I'm assuming it was never replaced before so for 200,000 miles and the little cost I've had to spend I say it's not bad.

a decent car with Issues
By dylan117

1997 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

The 626 Would be a great little car, but it seems to always have something wrong. Firstly, by the time I got the car just over 100,000 Miles, A CV
needed to be replaced. Later
it was discovered that the engine produced prodigious amounts of smoke upon starting after sitting. this is one of the main problems with the car, The 626's of this year are well known for having very poor valve stem seals. The car uses about 2 quarts per 200 miles. After, it was also discovered that the Coil springs on both front sides were actually cracked and about to fall off the mounts, and that both ball joints needed to be swapped out. In my opinion, once these cars get a few miles they tend to lose reliabilit

-Good transmission -decent comfort for a small car -good speakers

-Engine has very poor valve stems, prone to premature wear and failure, and also burning oil causes premature exhaust system rusting -Suspension and running gear seem to not last.

Good ol Mazda
By johntesh71

1997 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

Had one of these as my first car, bought it with 197,000 miles and experienced one problem after the next. The car had horrible power steering problems, brakes went bad after one month, then the alternator left me stranded in a busy intersection. Once all the problems were fixed...Very reliable car, gutsy little engine and very well made. I was upset when this car got stolen from me only 6 months after buying it...but life goes on and so does Mazda....Zoom, Zoom!

The V6 was very strong and gutsy.....faster than you what u would think for a mid sizer.

Less tacky appearance, more of that Mazda sportiness and charm.