1996 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
2nd of many
By myrtusugni on 05/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda 626 ES V6 4dr Sedan

This is my 2nd 626, and I am a believer. Never had a problem that wasn't my own fault.

A Good Car, Not a Great Car.
By GGG on 05/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 18,000 miles on it. I now have 100,000. It has had a variety of irritating, but not major, problems over the years. Frequently, the "check engine" light comes on. Usually, the Mazda dealer can't figure out why, they just turn in off. Overall, the car has performed well. At about 95,000 miles the transmission simply stopped working. It had to be completely replaced ($2,600). After the repair, it went out again after 1,500 miles and 3 weeks time. The windshield takes 5-10 minutes to clear. The car pulls snow in and blows it onto the inside of the windshield.

Just can't complain
By JD72 on 04/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I've had my Mazda for 5.5 years. With the 4 and the manual, acceleration is average but fuel economy is great (32 in mixed driving, higher on the highway). The FR680s I had wore away in 20K, but the Potenzas I replaced them with have been much better. Coming up on my 1st brake job at 70K. Otherwise, aside from oil changes and a new muffler, it's been great and trouble free.

96 madza
By used on 03/12/02 10:49 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

transmission problems (3X) Leather interior is not holding up. stitching breaking on rear seat and front door panel coming apart. bad gaskets Extremely EXPENSIVE to get repaired at dealership. ($28 to replace a tail light bulb.)

1996 Mazda 626 V6 is a performer
By caltom1 on 03/12/02 01:35 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

This car has a great engine and is highly reliable.