1996 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Mazda 626
By Kurty G. on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

My Mazda 626 has been an exceptionally reliable vehicle. I have especially enjoyed the great gas mileage on long trips, often getting 35-40 mpg. I have had relatively few mechanical problems. I even took it on my stand up comedy tour (putting on 18,000 miles in the summer of '02). It ran like a champ.

I'd buy another
By jfbrown42 on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda 626 ES V6 4dr Sedan

I bought a 626 V6 ES in late '96. It's been a great car. It performs well. The leather seats are nice but getting a bit worn (kids). 5-speed stick shift works great. No maintenance other than usual wear and tear and things I've butsted (mirrors). This has been the best car I've ever owned.

Buyer Beware
By scotter on 11/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Purchased 4 cyl. auto. with 58,000 kilometers on it. The transmission exploded at 140,000 kilometers. Damage was $3,000.00. The dealership was not interested in my problem. What p****d me off the most was that Mazda Canada blamed me for the failure and accused me of not maintaining the vehicle (untrue). They had absolutely no remorse for my situation. Yes it is a ford transmission and is still in use by Ford and Mazda. Other problems included check engine light constantly going on and off, (I stopped taken it in to the dealership to be diagnosed because as it will go off in a few weeks), and now my tranny and engine are leaking.

Do NOT buy! Transmission is Garbage!!!!!
By Bad Trany on 11/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I'll make it simple. Transmission repair costs have surpassed $2,500 in 2 seperate repairs over 3 years. I could have the note on this hunk of garbage nearly paid off, but I was forced to dump my hard-earned cash into trany repairs! I will never again buy another Mazda product!

Trustworthy and True Value
By Herman in Gurnee, IL on 09/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Mazda 626 LX, 4 cyl, 5 speed, brand new in 1996. I currently have 122,500 miles on it and it stills runs extremely well. I still get between 30-36 miles easily. Knock on wood...I have had no major problems. Replace CV boots, drive axles and that's it. I do my own tune ups, and keep the oil changed every 3,000 miles. No one can believe its 7 years old because the paint still looks great. This car has been a great pleasure and though its now a second car, it still looks and perform like the family car it once was.

1996 Mazda 626 DX 4cyl auto
By Ray001 on 07/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

I use this car to commute to work and the miles on it are highway miles only. I've liked the car for commuting but I'm on my third transmission. Someone reading this might think I'm hard on transmissions but I've owned lots of vehicles(currently own 4)and I've never had a problem with transmissions going out on me. The car has been an average car for me and if the transmissions had not gone out, I'd be really happy with the car. The mechanics that worked on my car told me transmissions always go out on the Mazda 626.

worst car I've ever owned
By obcom on 07/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

This was absolutely the worst car I ever had. Transmission literally fell out of car at 48,000 miles(3,000 miles out of warranty). Mazda would do nothing, even though they admitted to me that this was happening to the same model car all over the country. I did not fix the car (a $3500 repair), sold the it for a loss and walked away. Never again would I drive any Mazda.

reliable fun
By jesster on 07/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

This car has 150k on it it has had no major problems. It has been well maintained and driven hard. The interior is still holding up, and the engine runs strong. It pulls hard to the red line and handles very well. the seats are very supportive and controls easy to reach. it is one of the funnest most reliable cars i have driven and still uses NO OIL.

I'd buy 10 of them again
By Stevenam on 06/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda 626 ES V6 4dr Sedan

This is THE best car I've ever owned. It's operated flawlessly, is fun to drive and easy to own. I love how it looks, both in and out. Mazdas are great cars, and this one is the best of them.

I LOVE my Mazda
By Mazda_Lover on 05/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

If you have a chance to purchase a Mazda 626, do it! I've had my baby for a while and I absolutely love her. She's comfortable, stylish and great mechanically. I promise, you will not regret this purchase!