1996 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
The best I ever had
By JMP on 04/23/10 20:34 PM (PDT)

1996 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle from a man in New Jersey who owned since it was new and he never had major problems! I had it for six years and never had major problems! I owned dozens of vehicles and this had been the absolute best car I ever had! This car now has 145000 miles and still drives like its brand new! Oh yeah, standard versions are a lot better than automatics! I love this car and I won't sell it for anything!

Great Car 96 626ES
By vic miller on 12/09/09 05:30 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda 626 Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan

When I bought this car in 1999, it had 60K miles. It's performed great and now at 345,000 miles it's still a performer! Other than routine maintenance (timing belt, oil/Valvoline, brakes, struts, radiator, etc.) it's never given problems and the fuel economy nears 30mpg. Its 5-spd manual transmission has never failed and its clutch I've replaced once.

Reliable Used Vehicle
By Leif Wanager on 09/23/09 06:48 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This was my first Mazda and I have been impressed with its performance and reliability. It's fun to drive. Great for a non-boring A-to-B commute.

Mazda 626 -- Very Reliable
By Jrock on 06/08/09 18:30 PM (PDT)

1996 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

Bought the '96 626 V6 5-speed manual new in 5/96. I put 275K miles on it and running strong. Typical fatigue of parts with that kind of mileage, but nothing out of the ordinary. Original clutch, but I feel that starting to go. Has always been very quick and handles well. Only thing I've replaced repeatedly is the auto antenna

Love
By yaycars22 on 02/06/09 22:43 PM (PST)

1996 Mazda 626 Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan

This car commuted every day for probably 2 years, almost 100 miles round trip a day. I absolutely love it. It has lots of personality and accelerates quickly, although you can definitely feel the change between 1st and 2nd gear. It has 145,000 miles and counting, but it still runs great. The driver side CV Joint cracked though, and I think the other ones are going also. The engine light has been on for probably 3 years, but no mechanic can tell there is anything wrong.

Still Kickin' at 195,000 13 years
By bubsdad1 on 01/24/09 16:02 PM (PST)

1996 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This is not an exciting car. It does its job fine and I am realizing it is getting near time to replace it (Looking at the Mazda 3, the 6 is too big now) No big problems in the years (10+) I have owned it. Gets out of alignment and shaky but it can be counted on. We get rough weather here in New England and it makes it through the snow no problem. Usually get 32 mpg commuting. Roomy enough for our family of 4 now. Small things starting to go. Drivers side door lock is busted from outside. Shaky, getting old, but not bad for the $6000 I spent over a decade ago! The 5 speed manual is the way to go!

Don't believe the hype
By mn mike on 11/21/08 08:43 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

2.0L I4, 5sp trans, 221k miles. Only problems I have had were wear/tear items (rotten plug wires, oil sending unit failure, vacuum hose leak, drive axles at 120k, struts at 120k). Don't know where people are having the problems with the trans, as I am still on my original clutch. Purchased this car w/32k miles in 2000, and heavy mix of city & hwy driving, have had no major problems. Not a speed demon of a vehicle, but gets me from A to B safely and comfortably (and I'm 6'4"!).

Mazda 626
By Mazda 626 on 02/21/08 17:03 PM (PST)

1996 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have driven this Mazda from Wichita, Ks to Kansas City, Ks almost every weekend for a year. The car handles very well but has a few electrical problems. The overdrive light blinks off and on occasionally and the enging light is always on. The transmission is slow sometimes. I also had to have a new coil. I like the way it handles and would like to restore this one.

96 626 is a pain.. get the newer 6.
By ourluck on 01/09/08 03:19 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I had to replace the trans in about 6 months after purchase, check engine light comes on every now and then. Have a friend who owns a shop and he does a lot of repair on theis darn thing. I owned a 1984 626 and it ran great for about 5 years then i upgraded in sydney, i thought id give it another shot. A real bad experience this time.

Basic Workhourse
By ke on 07/29/07 19:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Wish my wife would scrap it. It does the job though as far as mechanically. A good performance car from A to B, But no fun and boring look.