Used 1996 Mazda 626 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

The best I ever had
By JMP

1996 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle from a man in New Jersey who owned since it was new and he never had major problems! I had it for six years and never had major problems! I owned dozens of vehicles and this had been the absolute best car I ever had! This car now has 145000 miles and still drives like its brand new! Oh yeah, standard versions are a lot better than automatics! I love this car and I won't sell it for anything!

Favorite Features

Great on gas, handles nice, and very reliable!

Suggested Improvements

Needs more power!

Great Car 96 626ES
By vic miller

1996 Mazda 626 Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan

When I bought this car in 1999, it had 60K miles. It's performed great and now at 345,000 miles it's still a performer! Other than routine maintenance (timing belt, oil/Valvoline, brakes, struts, radiator, etc.) it's never given problems and the fuel economy nears 30mpg. Its 5-spd manual transmission has never failed and its clutch I've replaced once.

Favorite Features

Swift performance, maneuverability, leather interior, moon-roof, and sound system.

Suggested Improvements

A/C

Reliable Used Vehicle
By Leif Wanager

1996 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This was my first Mazda and I have been impressed with its performance and reliability. It's fun to drive. Great for a non-boring A-to-B commute.

Favorite Features

It's quick. Takes tight turns. Good sound system. I like the electric-adjustable mirrors. Great air conditioning unit with "sway" feature. Handy cruise control.

Suggested Improvements

I don't care for the "auto down" driver-side window.

Mazda 626 -- Very Reliable
By Jrock

1996 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

Bought the '96 626 V6 5-speed manual new in 5/96. I put 275K miles on it and running strong. Typical fatigue of parts with that kind of mileage, but nothing out of the ordinary. Original clutch, but I feel that starting to go. Has always been very quick and handles well. Only thing I've replaced repeatedly is the auto antenna

Favorite Features

5-speed manual; leather interior; nice looking car

Suggested Improvements

cig lighter right behind cupholder - not conducive to today's electronics; CD changer didn't last with car; power antenna motor continually breaks; road noise

Love
By yaycars22

1996 Mazda 626 Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan

This car commuted every day for probably 2 years, almost 100 miles round trip a day. I absolutely love it. It has lots of personality and accelerates quickly, although you can definitely feel the change between 1st and 2nd gear. It has 145,000 miles and counting, but it still runs great. The driver side CV Joint cracked though, and I think the other ones are going also. The engine light has been on for probably 3 years, but no mechanic can tell there is anything wrong.

Favorite Features

Simple design, but quality made. Very easy to drive. All the amenities of a luxury car, but without the price.

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission?