1996 Mazda 626 LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Reliable Used Vehicle
By Leif Wanager

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

This was my first Mazda and I have been impressed with its performance and reliability. It's fun to drive. Great for a non-boring A-to-B commute.

Favorite Features

It's quick. Takes tight turns. Good sound system. I like the electric-adjustable mirrors. Great air conditioning unit with "sway" feature. Handy cruise control.

Suggested Improvements

I don't care for the "auto down" driver-side window.

Still Kickin' at 195,000 13 years
By bubsdad1

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

This is not an exciting car. It does its job fine and I am realizing it is getting near time to replace it (Looking at the Mazda 3, the 6 is too big now) No big problems in the years (10+) I have owned it. Gets out of alignment and shaky but it can be counted on. We get rough weather here in New England and it makes it through the snow no problem. Usually get 32 mpg commuting. Roomy enough for our family of 4 now. Small things starting to go. Drivers side door lock is busted from outside. Shaky, getting old, but not bad for the $6000 I spent over a decade ago! The 5 speed manual is the way to go!

Favorite Features

Seat comfort Unbreakable engine (has run with no oil in it before! Bad owner, bad. Decent A/C. Funky vents

Suggested Improvements

Park this next to a 2009 Mazda 6 and you would never see any resemblance. That thing is huge and fancy The 3 is more like this car was, but more sporty.

Don't believe the hype
By mn mike

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

2.0L I4, 5sp trans, 221k miles. Only problems I have had were wear/tear items (rotten plug wires, oil sending unit failure, vacuum hose leak, drive axles at 120k, struts at 120k). Don't know where people are having the problems with the trans, as I am still on my original clutch. Purchased this car w/32k miles in 2000, and heavy mix of city & hwy driving, have had no major problems. Not a speed demon of a vehicle, but gets me from A to B safely and comfortably (and I'm 6'4"!).

Favorite Features

Manual trans "swinging vents" bubble roof fits my oversized frame

Suggested Improvements

More HP better MPG (the camry gets 6mpg more w/a bigger engine!!!)

Mazda 626
By Mazda 626

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I have driven this Mazda from Wichita, Ks to Kansas City, Ks almost every weekend for a year. The car handles very well but has a few electrical problems. The overdrive light blinks off and on occasionally and the enging light is always on. The transmission is slow sometimes. I also had to have a new coil. I like the way it handles and would like to restore this one.

Favorite Features

I love the sun roof. The size of the car is just right for me. My interior needs to be totally redone. I have had very little problems with not starting.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission seems to be the biggest problem so far. And the coil has been replaced. The front end may also need some attention.

If i had known then what i know now
By stacy

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car brand new in 1996 and have had problems ever since. I too have had serious transmission problems! I am on my 4th transmission (all rebuilt) and have put way more money into the car than it is worth. Although the car is unreliable, there are plenty of features that I do enjoy. Not enough, however, to ever convince me to invest in another Mazda.

Favorite Features

The sunroof, great sound system, and interior comfort.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission!

My 96 Mazda 626 4cyl LX sedan
By zach

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Overall this car has not been very good to me, I have had endless problems from the idle being too low to the transmission slipping to radiator leaks, heating problem etc. This car is also quite slow and only delivers around 114 horsepower. But to be fair I will say it would make a decent car for high school kid but I just need more power.

Suggested Improvements

A bigger engine, stiffer suspension, higher quality drive train, wider tires.

Happy with 626
By Happy with 626

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 626 used in 1999 with 33,000 miles on it. The only major repairs I have done besides the usual maintenance, tires, brakes, exhaust was the radiator. This car has been excellent. It still purrs like a kitten with 182k on it. People don't believe me when I tell them it has the original clutch. I am looking to buy something new this year and plan to give this car to my niece. It is extremely reliable, feels safe, very quiet. I have taken great care of this car changing the oil every 3000k and doing preventative maintenance. It certainly is no sports car and you won't win any races with it but it is strong.

Great Car for the $$$
By mrschneider

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

This car is bullet proof! Only time I've had it in shop was for regular maintenance, and to replace a P/S pump. My car has manual transmission (more fun to drive and auto transmission in these cars are poor). Have gotten as high as 37 mpg! Simple, nice, well built car.

Favorite Features

60/40 split dual fold down seats (can haul skis, lumber, etc.) Lots of trunk space ... love the fuel efficiency.

1996 626
By Mel

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

My aunt passed this car down to me. She bought the car new and the transmission went at 65k, was replaced with a full warranty. Car now has 114k on it and runs smooth. Shifts rough sometimes. I treat the car like a old man so I haven't had any problems yet, "knock on wood." All around it's just a simple car I drive to work and home.

Favorite Features

Swinging a/c vents and roomy for a compact 4 door.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, don't use Ford parts pleaseeeeeeee.

Bad Trans
By waylandk

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Bought it at 50k. The old owner sold it because of trans problems. after several trips to the shop, it was found that the transmission range selector switch was bad. Once fixed it was good for over three years. Now the O/D light blinks I have had trans fluid coming from somewere. Also engine light is on.

Favorite Features

Good A/C and handling

Suggested Improvements

Trans