Used 1996 Mazda 626 LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Reliable Used Vehicle
By Leif Wanager

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

This was my first Mazda and I have been impressed with its performance and reliability. It's fun to drive. Great for a non-boring A-to-B commute.

It's quick. Takes tight turns. Good sound system. I like the electric-adjustable mirrors. Great air conditioning unit with "sway" feature. Handy cruise control.

I don't care for the "auto down" driver-side window.

Still Kickin' at 195,000 13 years
By bubsdad1

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

This is not an exciting car. It does its job fine and I am realizing it is getting near time to replace it (Looking at the Mazda 3, the 6 is too big now) No big problems in the years (10+) I have owned it. Gets out of alignment and shaky but it can be counted on. We get rough weather here in New England and it makes it through the snow no problem. Usually get 32 mpg commuting. Roomy enough for our family of 4 now. Small things starting to go. Drivers side door lock is busted from outside. Shaky, getting old, but not bad for the $6000 I spent over a decade ago! The 5 speed manual is the way to go!

Seat comfort Unbreakable engine (has run with no oil in it before! Bad owner, bad. Decent A/C. Funky vents

Park this next to a 2009 Mazda 6 and you would never see any resemblance. That thing is huge and fancy The 3 is more like this car was, but more sporty.

Don't believe the hype
By mn mike

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

2.0L I4, 5sp trans, 221k miles. Only problems I have had were wear/tear items (rotten plug wires, oil sending unit failure, vacuum hose leak, drive axles at 120k, struts at 120k). Don't know where people are having the problems with the trans, as I am still on my original clutch. Purchased this car w/32k miles in 2000, and heavy mix of city & hwy driving, have had no major problems. Not a speed demon of a vehicle, but gets me from A to B safely and comfortably (and I'm 6'4"!).

Manual trans "swinging vents" bubble roof fits my oversized frame

More HP better MPG (the camry gets 6mpg more w/a bigger engine!!!)

Mazda 626
By Mazda 626

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I have driven this Mazda from Wichita, Ks to Kansas City, Ks almost every weekend for a year. The car handles very well but has a few electrical problems. The overdrive light blinks off and on occasionally and the enging light is always on. The transmission is slow sometimes. I also had to have a new coil. I like the way it handles and would like to restore this one.

I love the sun roof. The size of the car is just right for me. My interior needs to be totally redone. I have had very little problems with not starting.

The transmission seems to be the biggest problem so far. And the coil has been replaced. The front end may also need some attention.

If i had known then what i know now
By stacy

1996 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car brand new in 1996 and have had problems ever since. I too have had serious transmission problems! I am on my 4th transmission (all rebuilt) and have put way more money into the car than it is worth. Although the car is unreliable, there are plenty of features that I do enjoy. Not enough, however, to ever convince me to invest in another Mazda.

The sunroof, great sound system, and interior comfort.

The transmission!