1996 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Great Car 96 626ES
By vic miller on 12/09/09 05:30 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda 626 ES V6 4dr Sedan

When I bought this car in 1999, it had 60K miles. It's performed great and now at 345,000 miles it's still a performer! Other than routine maintenance (timing belt, oil/Valvoline, brakes, struts, radiator, etc.) it's never given problems and the fuel economy nears 30mpg. Its 5-spd manual transmission has never failed and its clutch I've replaced once.

Love
By yaycars22 on 02/06/09 22:43 PM (PST)

1996 Mazda 626 ES V6 4dr Sedan

This car commuted every day for probably 2 years, almost 100 miles round trip a day. I absolutely love it. It has lots of personality and accelerates quickly, although you can definitely feel the change between 1st and 2nd gear. It has 145,000 miles and counting, but it still runs great. The driver side CV Joint cracked though, and I think the other ones are going also. The engine light has been on for probably 3 years, but no mechanic can tell there is anything wrong.

Great Buy
By jdfarr on 04/30/06 18:06 PM (PDT)

1996 Mazda 626 ES V6 4dr Sedan

Sports sedan with 5 speed tranny. Plenty of power and easy on gas (29 mpg highway).Very reliable but repairs can be expensive. Had 120k when bought in 2002. Now close to 200k but rides like new. The V6 engine will outlast the frame. It uses one qt. of oil every 3k miles. If you are looking for this model, make sure it has the 5 speed. Avoid the automatic!

Mazda626
By chrisscarlson on 09/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda 626 ES V6 4dr Sedan

Good car...txmsn probs BUT Mazda handled in excellent manner...

I'd buy another
By jfbrown42 on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Mazda 626 ES V6 4dr Sedan

I bought a 626 V6 ES in late '96. It's been a great car. It performs well. The leather seats are nice but getting a bit worn (kids). 5-speed stick shift works great. No maintenance other than usual wear and tear and things I've butsted (mirrors). This has been the best car I've ever owned.

I'd buy 10 of them again
By Stevenam on 06/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda 626 ES V6 4dr Sedan

This is THE best car I've ever owned. It's operated flawlessly, is fun to drive and easy to own. I love how it looks, both in and out. Mazdas are great cars, and this one is the best of them.

leave it at the dealership!
By dont do it!! on 06/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda 626 ES V6 4dr Sedan

The car looks good in and out..that's where the fun ends. I had my transmission replaced last year. It still makes the same irritating ticking noise that it made before it went out. I think it may be going out again! The rear view mirror fell off, break pad too and the control panel vibrates.

2nd of many
By myrtusugni on 05/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mazda 626 ES V6 4dr Sedan

This is my 2nd 626, and I am a believer. Never had a problem that wasn't my own fault.