Used 1996 Mazda 626 DX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

The best I ever had
By JMP

1996 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle from a man in New Jersey who owned since it was new and he never had major problems! I had it for six years and never had major problems! I owned dozens of vehicles and this had been the absolute best car I ever had! This car now has 145000 miles and still drives like its brand new! Oh yeah, standard versions are a lot better than automatics! I love this car and I won't sell it for anything!

Great on gas, handles nice, and very reliable!

Needs more power!

Basic Workhourse
By ke

1996 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

Wish my wife would scrap it. It does the job though as far as mechanically. A good performance car from A to B, But no fun and boring look.

Works and turns on, some power.

Body.

lemon
By carless in seatle

1996 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

Replaced two engines (one rebuilt) and one transmission, 2 air sensors and the entire exhaust way too soon. Turned the car in with it's third catastrophic power train failure with only 90,000 miles. Very disappointed.

The inside design with nice....very quality leather, excellent sound system.

need to completely redesign the engine and tramsmission--big failure

1996 Mazda 626 DX 4cyl auto
By Ray001

1996 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

I use this car to commute to work and the miles on it are highway miles only. I've liked the car for commuting but I'm on my third transmission. Someone reading this might think I'm hard on transmissions but I've owned lots of vehicles(currently own 4)and I've never had a problem with transmissions going out on me. The car has been an average car for me and if the transmissions had not gone out, I'd be really happy with the car. The mechanics that worked on my car told me transmissions always go out on the Mazda 626.

lots of trunk space with fold down rear seats allows a person to put skiis, or other long items in the trunk.

improve the transmission problems

WARNING !
By Unhappy Owner

1996 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

I have had problems with this automobile since the day I drove it off the dealers lot! I purchased a 1996 Mazda 626 DX in May 2000, with 24,000 miles. Two weeks later I was at the dealership with a tire worn down to the steel belts. I have purchased a set of tires every year since owning the automobile. I have also had major problems with the TRANSMISSION!!! I am totally dissatisfied with engineering of this automobile and warn anyone who plans to purchase a Mazda 626 to talk former owners. Our stories are the same!

I suggest Mazda recall all 626 Models and have the transmission problems corrected!!!