1995 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
DON'T BUY IT!
By kristique on 07/12/07 09:06 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this used car in sept 06, June 07 the transmission needed replacement! The previous owner had replaced the transmission Nov 05, one of the reasons why I bought this car despite the negative reviews it received! It was a great car to drive and didn't give problems until the transmission caved less than a year of my driving it. I bought it at 180,000 miles and now it's stopped running at 185740 miles! What a waste!

Great Car - Get 5-speed standard only
By jrichards on 08/25/05 15:15 PM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This is a great car with over 30mpg. Bought it in 1995 and now has over a 150K and still hums perfectly. Stay away from the automatic transmissions; if you did your research when you bought it you would know it has problems. Bought new in 1995 and the only problem with it has been the antenna motor and some paint peeling last year. Only money spent has been on normal REGULAR maintenance and new tires. This car still has the original clutch. Pro's are reliability, comfort and mpg. Con's are cup holders, seat belt frays, antenna motor. I wouldn't trade or sell this car for the world.

This car is incredible
By jpkid on 05/13/05 13:12 PM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have a 1995 Maza 626 LX--4cyl. model with 210,000 miles. This car is amazing. I've had very few problems with the car--no mechanical issues, occassional exhaust problems that stem from New England winters and road salt. Everything else has been standard maintenance--oil, plugs-wires, etc. I know that eventually I will need to get another car--but I'm sure that I can only be disappointed after such great luck with this one.

I LOVE THIS CAR!
By mhc92 on 03/30/05 12:39 PM (PST)

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in 1998 and have driven it hard ever since. It just keeps going. The odometer just flipped to 200,000 this week and I'm thinking of getting her a paint job. I've been pretty good about routine maintenance-- and that's all I've ever really had to put into this vehicle--plugs, wires, brakes, oil. The standard transmission makes up for the 4 cylinder engine. The best part is that I've got no payments and it's dirt cheap to insure.

Very Pleased!
By TDB on 11/24/04 11:45 AM (PST)

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Purchased with 60,000 miles on it, now has 162,000. Runs like a top. No mechanical problems (manual transmission). 30+ MPG. Nice ride for this size car. Good passing power. I'd buy another.

Does what it is supposed to do.
By heavy driver on 03/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have 115k miles on my 95 626 LX. We have replaced wear and tear items repeatedly, but engine keeps on going. Tranny went out at 99k and EasyCare honored the warranty and gave us a new tranny no questions asked. We were floored, but happy. My radiator cracked this week, and the belts are ready for replacement, but I am having the repairs done. Until the timing belt pops, or the tranny stays on the highway without me, I'll keep on driving her. She does what she is supposed to, and she's paid for.

What a Lemon!
By southern_belle on 12/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Transmission problems! This car left me stranded on several occassions! Never will I buy another mazda again. It was the worst. However, comfortable interior but horrible in the reliability department. Oh,yeah . . . axle was replaced twice as well.

trany sucks
By frustrated walker on 10/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Good car except for transmission. Ive hade to replace the transmission twice since ive owned it. I also own a honda and a nissan alot less problems and better quality go that way if you ask me but for the price if you can afford to repair the trany once or twice its a decent car

Change the Tranny Oil!
By sonnyreid on 08/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

A reviewer wrote in that this car has a transmission without a filter. It makes common sense that, to keep the selnoid valves from gumming up with dirty transmission oil, an easy and inexpensive way to keep that transmission in peak working order BEFORE it crashes is to change the oil.....a little PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE will go a long way to keeping this car on the road and out of the shop. One guy wrote that he bought the car at 113,000 miles on it and 2,000 miles later, the transmission went out. Now...ask yourself...do you think the previous owner changed the transmission oil frequently? (every 35,000 miles)

Great car with one exception.
By Mr. Toy on 08/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

My wife has driven this car since we bought it as a demonstrator from the dealer. Overall it is a very agile, but strains a little bit on long hills. However, we had one major problem. The automatic transmission failed at only 30,000 miles. It was replaced under warranty (following a 3-day dispute about when the warranty officially expired). The replacement transmission developed a slow leak after a year in service. Other than that it has worked OK, so far. The car is at 60,000 miles. The air conditioning has gone out and we're worried the transmission will go out again, so we're considering a replacement while it still has some trade-in value.