Used 1995 Mazda 626 DX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Reliable & Quality
By RoryDC

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Vehicle is 2.0 4cyl auto hatchback with 150,000 km. Purchased from 2 owner who was somewhat fanatical with maintenance. Inside and out car is like new even after 15 years. Have changed radio cassette to CD player, put a set of Eunos alloys with decent rubber on and added a pod filter to improve air flow for motor. Performance is quite good for 2.0 liter auto but looking to improve it with new sports exhaust including new cat. Will also upgrade the suspension. No problems in auto from fully imported Japanese models. Ultra reliable as long as scheduled maintenance performed on time.

Favorite Features

Looks great, handles well, easy to drive, fuel consumption could be better - 11 liters per 100 km.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are a total waste of space.

1995 Mazda 626 4cyl automatic 145k miles
By Dual Trace

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in 1996 (left over from previous year). Despite other opinions I love the way it looks and I consider it basically trouble free. Friends with Hondas and Toyotas envy me for the little trouble I had with it. Reached 145k miles and never got me stuck on the road. The only main problems I had were the oxygen sensor (changed it 3 times). I lately read Mazda 626 is known for faulty oxygen sensors. Changed timing belt twice as the book recommends. I think it was a really great car for the money, but now the catalytic converter needs some $800 repair job. I would buy Mazda again, but hate the looks of the new Mazda 6: too bulky. Will consider buying a 2007 Acura TL.

Favorite Features

Decent power and mileage for a 4-cyl for a car from that age and great cornering capabilities. Love to drive it on twisted roads.

Suggested Improvements

Windshield defogging should be better. It does not work well in humid weather unless you also use the air conditioning.

Very Pleased!
By TDB

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Purchased with 60,000 miles on it, now has 162,000. Runs like a top. No mechanical problems (manual transmission). 30+ MPG. Nice ride for this size car. Good passing power. I'd buy another.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, pickup, ride.

Suggested Improvements

Better radio.

trany sucks
By frustrated walker

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Good car except for transmission. Ive hade to replace the transmission twice since ive owned it. I also own a honda and a nissan alot less problems and better quality go that way if you ask me but for the price if you can afford to repair the trany once or twice its a decent car

Favorite Features

Seats, gas mpg, style

Suggested Improvements

new trany, a little more power- buy a honds

Great car with one exception.
By Mr. Toy

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

My wife has driven this car since we bought it as a demonstrator from the dealer. Overall it is a very agile, but strains a little bit on long hills. However, we had one major problem. The automatic transmission failed at only 30,000 miles. It was replaced under warranty (following a 3-day dispute about when the warranty officially expired). The replacement transmission developed a slow leak after a year in service. Other than that it has worked OK, so far. The car is at 60,000 miles. The air conditioning has gone out and we're worried the transmission will go out again, so we're considering a replacement while it still has some trade-in value.

Favorite Features

Great handling, good visibility. Oscillating vent is nice. Reasonably decent stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the Ford transmission!!! Road noise excessive at highway speeds.