1995 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Good Car
By Krystle on 12/03/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 274,000 miles on it and it's still running good had to have the transmission replaced soon after purchasing it but it was the original from 1995. GREAT gas mileage, with gas prices at 2.89 I can still only spen $30 and fill it up.

Reliable & Quality
By RoryDC on 08/17/10 05:25 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Vehicle is 2.0 4cyl auto hatchback with 150,000 km. Purchased from 2 owner who was somewhat fanatical with maintenance. Inside and out car is like new even after 15 years. Have changed radio cassette to CD player, put a set of Eunos alloys with decent rubber on and added a pod filter to improve air flow for motor. Performance is quite good for 2.0 liter auto but looking to improve it with new sports exhaust including new cat. Will also upgrade the suspension. No problems in auto from fully imported Japanese models. Ultra reliable as long as scheduled maintenance performed on time.

Reliable transportation
By tony on 07/15/10 08:29 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Wife purchased in 1994 4-cylinder LX as a 1995 "Mazda program car" (had 18K miles, now has 107K). Transmission light came on @ 1999 (car was most likely abused prior to purchasing with 18K miles)- we couldn't feel anything different but had it replaced anyway. No transmissions problems since then. Other than regular maintenance like oil/filter changes, the only major services have been a new timing belt and replacement of front drive axle gear (tie rods, links, boot covers...). It has been very reliable in our 15 yrs of ownership. I purchased a new 2000 Protege (loved it for what it was) but traded it in for 2004 MPV (3 kids happened). Want to buy Mazdaspeed3 but 626 keeps going.

Great car with problem transmission
By Jeremiah on 11/23/09 06:36 AM (PST)

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this JAPANESE car with 104k miles on it. I got it cheap because the FORD transmission was burned up. I had the trans. rebuilt 3 months after I bought it, for $2000. It has run fine ever since, but the new trans. overheats when driving up and down mountain roads or sitting in heavy traffic for long periods. The fluid will boil and run out of the trans. vent, so I had a hose hooked up which runs up to the top of the engine compartment. This is a chronic problem with these CD4E Ford transmissions. But, the car runs great, has really good acceleration for a 2.0 liter 4 - nothing else important has gone wrong - it now has 145,000 miles on it. I like the car - will keep it til it dies.

1995 Mazda 626 4cyl automatic 145k miles
By Dual Trace on 10/18/09 10:38 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in 1996 (left over from previous year). Despite other opinions I love the way it looks and I consider it basically trouble free. Friends with Hondas and Toyotas envy me for the little trouble I had with it. Reached 145k miles and never got me stuck on the road. The only main problems I had were the oxygen sensor (changed it 3 times). I lately read Mazda 626 is known for faulty oxygen sensors. Changed timing belt twice as the book recommends. I think it was a really great car for the money, but now the catalytic converter needs some $800 repair job. I would buy Mazda again, but hate the looks of the new Mazda 6: too bulky. Will consider buying a 2007 Acura TL.

No Problems
By DS on 09/19/09 21:27 PM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I've had my mazda for almost 18 years now and i still haven't had any problems. I get great fuel economy and the performance is always excellent. I love my car and i always will. ZWorks well through any weather condition especially in the rain and snow.

still running at 224,000
By MIMIndy on 06/04/09 07:14 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this automatic trans LX in 1998 with 60,000 miles on it. Very reliable. Do regular oil changes, preventive maintenance, timing belts and have a wonderful mechanic. Problems with door lock tumblers. Replaced radiator, axle and starter - pretty good for a 14 year old car. No oil leaks. December 2007 at 198,000 miles had to have tranny checked. Code 42 - starting to fail but only intermittently in 1st gear. He said 95 Mazdas had terrible transmissions, but mine the exception. Still running at 224,000 but and 1st gear issues now and then. Love this car. AC worked wonderfully but now freon costs more than car is worth!

"How do I replace it?"
By AD on 02/14/09 17:50 PM (PST)

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used from a friend with 92,000 who properly maintained it. Ten years later we're at 312,000 and going strong (we blow some oil through, but, not too much - it runs G R E A T!. I drove it to New Orleans, then Iowa City (from New Jersey) last summer, and averaged 32 mpg w/ a/c on. The 2.0 5 speed is a good combination, very fun to drive.

Great Car
By lit on 05/15/08 14:49 PM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

This is a great car! I read reviews about transmission problems and well if you maintain it right it should work just fine. I have never had a problem with the two years I have owned it. Great on gas! I get about 27 MPG mixed driving

Great car so far
By John32 on 01/14/08 20:31 PM (PST)

1995 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

'95 626 lx 4dr 2.0l 5 spd. 193,000 miles and still runs strong. Handles nice for what it is, needs wheel bearing. Needs clutch. Thankfully I'm a mechanic and do these myself. Fun car and great on gas.

1 2 3 4 5 next »