1995 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Good Car
By Krystle on 12/03/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 274,000 miles on it and it's still running good had to have the transmission replaced soon after purchasing it but it was the original from 1995. GREAT gas mileage, with gas prices at 2.89 I can still only spen $30 and fill it up.

Reliable transportation
By tony on 07/15/10 08:29 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Wife purchased in 1994 4-cylinder LX as a 1995 "Mazda program car" (had 18K miles, now has 107K). Transmission light came on @ 1999 (car was most likely abused prior to purchasing with 18K miles)- we couldn't feel anything different but had it replaced anyway. No transmissions problems since then. Other than regular maintenance like oil/filter changes, the only major services have been a new timing belt and replacement of front drive axle gear (tie rods, links, boot covers...). It has been very reliable in our 15 yrs of ownership. I purchased a new 2000 Protege (loved it for what it was) but traded it in for 2004 MPV (3 kids happened). Want to buy Mazdaspeed3 but 626 keeps going.

Great car with problem transmission
By Jeremiah on 11/23/09 06:36 AM (PST)

1995 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this JAPANESE car with 104k miles on it. I got it cheap because the FORD transmission was burned up. I had the trans. rebuilt 3 months after I bought it, for $2000. It has run fine ever since, but the new trans. overheats when driving up and down mountain roads or sitting in heavy traffic for long periods. The fluid will boil and run out of the trans. vent, so I had a hose hooked up which runs up to the top of the engine compartment. This is a chronic problem with these CD4E Ford transmissions. But, the car runs great, has really good acceleration for a 2.0 liter 4 - nothing else important has gone wrong - it now has 145,000 miles on it. I like the car - will keep it til it dies.

still running at 224,000
By MIMIndy on 06/04/09 07:14 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this automatic trans LX in 1998 with 60,000 miles on it. Very reliable. Do regular oil changes, preventive maintenance, timing belts and have a wonderful mechanic. Problems with door lock tumblers. Replaced radiator, axle and starter - pretty good for a 14 year old car. No oil leaks. December 2007 at 198,000 miles had to have tranny checked. Code 42 - starting to fail but only intermittently in 1st gear. He said 95 Mazdas had terrible transmissions, but mine the exception. Still running at 224,000 but and 1st gear issues now and then. Love this car. AC worked wonderfully but now freon costs more than car is worth!

"How do I replace it?"
By AD on 02/14/09 17:50 PM (PST)

1995 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used from a friend with 92,000 who properly maintained it. Ten years later we're at 312,000 and going strong (we blow some oil through, but, not too much - it runs G R E A T!. I drove it to New Orleans, then Iowa City (from New Jersey) last summer, and averaged 32 mpg w/ a/c on. The 2.0 5 speed is a good combination, very fun to drive.

Great Car
By lit on 05/15/08 14:49 PM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

This is a great car! I read reviews about transmission problems and well if you maintain it right it should work just fine. I have never had a problem with the two years I have owned it. Great on gas! I get about 27 MPG mixed driving

Great car so far
By John32 on 01/14/08 20:31 PM (PST)

1995 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

'95 626 lx 4dr 2.0l 5 spd. 193,000 miles and still runs strong. Handles nice for what it is, needs wheel bearing. Needs clutch. Thankfully I'm a mechanic and do these myself. Fun car and great on gas.

DON'T BUY IT!
By kristique on 07/12/07 09:06 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this used car in sept 06, June 07 the transmission needed replacement! The previous owner had replaced the transmission Nov 05, one of the reasons why I bought this car despite the negative reviews it received! It was a great car to drive and didn't give problems until the transmission caved less than a year of my driving it. I bought it at 180,000 miles and now it's stopped running at 185740 miles! What a waste!

Great Car - Get 5-speed standard only
By jrichards on 08/25/05 15:15 PM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

This is a great car with over 30mpg. Bought it in 1995 and now has over a 150K and still hums perfectly. Stay away from the automatic transmissions; if you did your research when you bought it you would know it has problems. Bought new in 1995 and the only problem with it has been the antenna motor and some paint peeling last year. Only money spent has been on normal REGULAR maintenance and new tires. This car still has the original clutch. Pro's are reliability, comfort and mpg. Con's are cup holders, seat belt frays, antenna motor. I wouldn't trade or sell this car for the world.

This car is incredible
By jpkid on 05/13/05 13:12 PM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I have a 1995 Maza 626 LX--4cyl. model with 210,000 miles. This car is amazing. I've had very few problems with the car--no mechanical issues, occassional exhaust problems that stem from New England winters and road salt. Everything else has been standard maintenance--oil, plugs-wires, etc. I know that eventually I will need to get another car--but I'm sure that I can only be disappointed after such great luck with this one.