1995 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Reliable & Quality
By RoryDC on 08/17/10 05:25 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

Vehicle is 2.0 4cyl auto hatchback with 150,000 km. Purchased from 2 owner who was somewhat fanatical with maintenance. Inside and out car is like new even after 15 years. Have changed radio cassette to CD player, put a set of Eunos alloys with decent rubber on and added a pod filter to improve air flow for motor. Performance is quite good for 2.0 liter auto but looking to improve it with new sports exhaust including new cat. Will also upgrade the suspension. No problems in auto from fully imported Japanese models. Ultra reliable as long as scheduled maintenance performed on time.

1995 Mazda 626 4cyl automatic 145k miles
By Dual Trace on 10/18/09 10:38 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new in 1996 (left over from previous year). Despite other opinions I love the way it looks and I consider it basically trouble free. Friends with Hondas and Toyotas envy me for the little trouble I had with it. Reached 145k miles and never got me stuck on the road. The only main problems I had were the oxygen sensor (changed it 3 times). I lately read Mazda 626 is known for faulty oxygen sensors. Changed timing belt twice as the book recommends. I think it was a really great car for the money, but now the catalytic converter needs some $800 repair job. I would buy Mazda again, but hate the looks of the new Mazda 6: too bulky. Will consider buying a 2007 Acura TL.

Very Pleased!
By TDB on 11/24/04 11:45 AM (PST)

1995 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

Purchased with 60,000 miles on it, now has 162,000. Runs like a top. No mechanical problems (manual transmission). 30+ MPG. Nice ride for this size car. Good passing power. I'd buy another.

trany sucks
By frustrated walker on 10/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

Good car except for transmission. Ive hade to replace the transmission twice since ive owned it. I also own a honda and a nissan alot less problems and better quality go that way if you ask me but for the price if you can afford to repair the trany once or twice its a decent car

Great car with one exception.
By Mr. Toy on 08/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

My wife has driven this car since we bought it as a demonstrator from the dealer. Overall it is a very agile, but strains a little bit on long hills. However, we had one major problem. The automatic transmission failed at only 30,000 miles. It was replaced under warranty (following a 3-day dispute about when the warranty officially expired). The replacement transmission developed a slow leak after a year in service. Other than that it has worked OK, so far. The car is at 60,000 miles. The air conditioning has gone out and we're worried the transmission will go out again, so we're considering a replacement while it still has some trade-in value.

A really great fun car
By Ron MacArthur on 07/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

Compared it to a Honda Accord DX and bought the Mazda for style, ride and handling. Very willing dohc 4, very happy at 75mph. Great mileage 26/36 (five speed) No serious problems. Very trustworthy even today at 8 yrs old.

dont buy one!!!!
By annlat on 06/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car and have had nothing but problems since I exceeded 100000 miles Along with wear and tear I have replaced the water pump and radiator ( basically the whole cooling system) transmission which still runs horrible the 02 sensor and mass air flow sensor brakes a few times,this car is the worst car I have ever owned and far as the engine goes. Also every 626 in the same year range has a problem with the dash on the passenger side above the airbag it is warped from the sun not good!

Trash the 626
By Ruiz on 04/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

Nothing but problems, transmission replaced twice, and everything is falling apart, would NEVER own another mazda.

It's taking all my money!!
By Mel K on 11/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it was 4 years old. I take good care of the car but I've had to replace the CV-Joints, transmition, exhaust manifold, the motor mounts, and trans. mounts. There is also a lifter in the engine knocking. In the past 9 months I have put over $3500 into this car. The car I traded in for this was also a 626 and I drove it until it had 160,000 w/o doing ANY major work. Mazda's quality has sure gone downhill!

Zoom Zoom
By VTUHwang on 06/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

For a 1995 with approxiamately 150,000 miles it has very few problems. Just replaced the clutch and rear struts recently. Every other repair has been routine. Air Bypass Control Valve does occasionly stick. It would cost $600 to replace this valve, instead I unstick the valve when it sticks by knocking on it with a pocket knife. I have also added performance tires and with the manual transmission this car is a blast to drive.