1993 Mazda 626 Sedan 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1993 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

1993 626 Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Consider the manual trans.
By ebutera

1993 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Purchased this vehicle in May 2010 with low miles. The interior build quality is quite good, if a little boring, with few squeaks or rattles. Economical and "spacious", it's not exactly fun to drive but gets from A to B with little fuss. The term boring aptly describes this vehicle. The frustration comes in with the infamous flashing "hold" light; replaced the component the diagnostic told me to replace, to no avail. The trouble code causes the transmission to operate only up to 3rd gear. If you're considering this vehicle, get one with the manual transmission as they were not plagued with the problems of the automatic. Haven't had any other mechanical issues.

Favorite Features

Economy; interior space (for the year it was built)

Suggested Improvements

Not applicable

very poor
By Esoof Bholat

1993 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car right now after driving 3 or 4 miles engine quit.some time start right away or some time you have to try several time.I don't want to spend too much money to fix it. What i learn this car is totally not dependable.I will never buy any Mazda again.

Bought "Brand New" (1 owner)
By Beowulf

1993 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car has undoubtedly been the most reliable transportation I've ever purchased. With 160,000 miles on it has been as reliable as I could ask for.

Favorite Features

The fact that it has great "get-up-and- go" for it's age. Sporty.... I'd say!

Suggested Improvements

Needs head shaved a bit and new head gaskets (the whole shabang). Air conditioner probably needs to be replaced, in lieu of refurbishing it.

I will buy another mazda
By iced

1993 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 6 months now it has 400,000 km on it now. It is the most reliable vehicle I have owned in a while. I drive the crap out of this car and it just wont die, I would buy another Mazda if they are all like this

Favorite Features

The gas mileage is great in the city and the car has lots of pep.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders. Better exhaust system (not that I plan to fix it). A 6 speed would make this car amazing.

220K and still going!!
By 220k!!!

1993 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Owned this car for 6 yrs, it has 220k on it and it's still going! Great reliable cheap car got me through college and beyond. Very few expenses.

Japanese Ford
By biggersmaller

1993 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I know Ford heavily influenced Mazda in '93 when this piece was made, which is why I had to replace the distributor, and now have to replace the transmission because IT WONT GO IN REVERSE!!! A popular problem with this car. If it's an AT with 100,000+ DO NOT BUY IT!!!!!!

Favorite Features

I love the look. LOVE it.

Suggested Improvements

This car is discontinued (thank Jebus)

So far so good
By youonxi

1993 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This is my 1st car i ever own, so I don't have any car to compare with.. The speaker is great, I don't even think of the replacement of the speaker. I like the power sunroof and power windows, plenty of legs space for driver. Good acceleration (4 cyl, 5 speed manuel). Engine is a bit noisy. I hope this car goes fine until i graduate.

Favorite Features

Speaker, stability, manuel, sunroof, comform

Suggested Improvements

Door lock( It frozen a few time in winter)

My First Ride
By Agenda_Suicide

1993 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

It's agreat car, fast, and looks great!

Favorite Features

I love the exterior design...Body shape is excellent...

Suggested Improvements

i think it could be more fuel efficient, and interior design could get spiced up just a little.

214k and running
By rick9000

1993 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

At 100K the engine developed a ticking valve noise. Replaced HLA's and Oil pump >>> didn't fix the problem. Decided to just drive it until the engine Kaputs... It is now 214k and the engine still ticks when it iddles too long...I guess it doesn't bother me too much other than being a cosmetic thing. Have replaced muffler system (cheap), brakes, and an intake air gasket that was causing a poor iddle. Guess what? Stuff will break on your car, but hopefully your car was built on a Tuesday so that it won't be a Lemon. Oh yea, Consumer Reports said this car was really bad---- go figure--- at 214k I think it is a great car for the money.

Favorite Features

peppy motor w/5 speed. oscillating vents decent radio

Suggested Improvements

fix oils pump design to prevent valve ticking. fix specs on 1st to 2nd gear to prevent bad meshing.

Not a bad car
By jg3

1993 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in '92 and it has been great for me. I has been to Alaska and back, but not without problems. I have replaced the muffler 2x and most of the exhaust system, and the a/c compressor. Doors do not like frozen moisture and keys can bend easily. It gets 34MPG hyw and it loves hills (man trans)Good driver leg room. At 160k the paint is beginning to wearoff. When I replace it I hope to find a car just as good.

Favorite Features

Drivers seat, Fuel economy, acceleration, reliability, folding seats, and heating system.

Suggested Improvements

Make windshild wipers standard size, better door and key design, beter exhaust and ac system