1992 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Commuters racecar
By hippiecat78 on 09/25/08 05:56 AM (PDT)

1992 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for quite awhile now, bought it off a kid for $300 and bought a spare 626 lx for parts for $100. Best xcar I've ever owned (for a used car or other), had 160000 on the odo when I bought it and rolled it over 210000 just last week. Replaced the clutch, fuel pump and water pump for safety and reliability, tires and brakes as general maintenance. She won't die!! Would have loved to bought it new, oh the tales those tires would tell. Recommend it for fun and reliability and a good strong car for a teen or youngsters first car. Looks good drives great and oh sooo reliable , replaced the ac for commute and she keep going, she won't die (knock on wood).

Keeps on ticking
By nr on 01/22/08 11:20 AM (PST)

1992 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

This car just keeps on going. I've owned it for 8 years now. Have had to do the usual maintenance for a vehicle that now has ~165k miles: radiator, tie rods, valve cover gasket, alternator and water pump. Burns a little oil these days, but not bad. With higher freeway speeds these days, it doesn't get as many mpg as at 55 mph. Still, I average about 24 mpg with close to a 50/50 mix of city and highway driving. Better than most cars these days.

Fun & peppy car!
By Trentster on 02/18/07 16:30 PM (PST)

1992 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

I have really enjoyed this car and I am sad to see it go. My wife and I bought this car in December of 95 and it has been a reliable and fun car to drive. It currently has 178,000 miles on it and I think with a little work it could easily go to 250,000. I am only getting rid of it because I need a truck. This car is very peppy for only having a 4 cylinder and gets great gas mileage. Definitely get the manual transmission if you buy this car.

1992 Mazda 626 Fun to Drive
By SPD848 on 11/14/06 11:28 AM (PST)

1992 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

Bought this Mazda 626 5spd in 2006 of March with only 76,000 miles. Now it's got over 87,000 and all I have to do was put gas in it and regular oil changes. I get about 30mpg city/ 34mpg hwy at cruise speeds of 72mph. It's fast to drive, doesn't have the oomph like the turbo, but quick on the go for a basic 4 door sedan. Interior rattles a little but that's average for a old vehicle. Everything works like it should and hopefully it will go a long long way.

Bitter Sweet
By Austin Peterson on 08/01/06 11:44 AM (PDT)

1992 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

This is a fairly decent first car to have, though it has given me a few fits. I got it from my grandparents for $500 with a broken AC unit! So far I have replaced the whole exhaust system, a coil, and other minor tuneup things like spark plugs and distributor and cap. I have put more money into it than its worth, and the check engine light is now staying on (hopefully it's something minor). Honestly with proper maintenance this car is amazing for what it offers. It's quick, comfortable, and it isn't that bad looking.

My first car!
By Rach on 04/30/06 00:57 AM (PDT)

1992 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

I originally got my Mazda 626 from my mom when I got my license 3 years ago. I am devastated because it just died on me, at 335,000 miles! I had this crazy notion that it would last forever. It had been in my family for 10 years or so and I don't remember any large mechanical problems. Just the normal fuel pump, belt, in its last years. The car didn't actually "die", it was just deemed "too dangerous to drive" because of oil leaks. I highly recommend this car.

Good first car.
By Brandon on 03/30/06 12:21 PM (PST)

1992 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

STAY AWAY FROM AUTOMATIC! I originally had an automatic transmission; it died on me 3 times before I finally converted to 5 speed. The 5 speed if a gift from above, the car is so much more fun to drive, gas mileage went up about 2 mpg's, it's quicker and more responsive. I got the 5 speed with cruise control and I love it. Definitely a good car.

Great car
By Howie on 01/28/05 09:43 AM (PST)

1992 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I drive it mostly in rain or cold weather when I can't take out my motorcycle. Paid $1700 for my '92 with 119K miles. After new exhaust and tires, the car drives GREAT! Very comfortable and good power considering only 110hp. I have the 5 speed. I really like this sedan. It feels well built.

solid performer
By jeffoz on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

I have replaced cv joints, brakes, and exhaust components, and a hydraulic clutch cyliner, all to be expected with 120,000 miles. No electrical problems, master or wheel cylinder, or caliper problems, no transmission problems. The automatic seat belt retractor has failed on both sides; this is a pricey repair. I had some major ac work at 110,000 miles. At 115,000, the radiator split, apparently I didn't notice the dash warning light, and the engine overheated, irreparably. I think this was my own oversight, and I think the car has given me good value. I am happy enough to have replaced the engine!

Mazda 626 1992 - 180,000 miles
By FG1 on 11/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 626 new and have been very happy with it. It has been a very dependable car with very few problems.