1991 Mazda 626 LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Rock-solid reliable. No Repairs Needed
By james21

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car at 105K miles with the thought of trading it in in 10K or so miles. It just kept on running and running and running. Only had to replace a radiator, change brake pads, installed one starting motor. All repairs were relatively easy for someone who does not do a lot of work on cars. While the miles in it may not be glamorous, you always knew that you would get there on time and in relative comfort. Head gasket finally went at 189K, and I'm not up for fixing that, so time to sadly say goodbye.

My mazda has been great!
By LMS

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have had my Mazda 626 for four years. I've been pretty rough on it, but two growing boys and a husband riding in it almost every day for four years can be hard on any car. The biggest problem I've had with my car was when the water pump went out about 3 years ago when I was driving back and forth to college. The minor problem I'm having right now is that the driver's side door mechanism is broken and I have to open the door from the inside. Other than those things and a slight oil leak, my Mazda has been the best car I've owned.

Favorite Features

The seats, and the acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any thing.

No better car for the money
By Megamaz

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

My family bought this car when it was new in 1991. I was 7 years old at the time. 12 years and 143,000 miles later the only things wrong with this car are stupid mistakes made by myself and my do-it-yourself dad. This was my first car and I had it for 2 years until I got a 97 Blazer, which my mom totalled. I had more problems in 6 months with the Blazer than 12 years in the Mazda. I'm still driving it back and forth to college (about 300 miles) and it shows no signs of slowing down.

Favorite Features

It's the Megamaz. You can't stop it.

Suggested Improvements

None. If you know how to change oil, or can afford to get it changed somewhere, this car will last you for the rest of your life.

626-Reliable, Reliable, Reliable
By trooper

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Other than the normal maintenance, I've had some minor problems with this car, but nothing that a mechanic couldn't fix. I drive it about 22000 miles per year back and forth to work, run errands, etc. It's a steal if you can find one with low miles. The only problem I've had with it is the ignitor coil in the distributor. One day, it just wouldn't crank or do anything. Had to have it towed to the shop. Fixed the problem, total outlay: about $320 for parts and labor. All in all, this is my favorite car since I've been driving for about nine years.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, when you get on the freeway, it has plently of pickup. I find myself letting up on the gas because it literally will pin you back in the seat.

Suggested Improvements

Work on stiffening up the strut towers, frame in general. Minimize body flex and torque steer. It could cause loss of control during acceleration.

Expensive to Repair!
By NeedANewCar

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I got my Mazda when it had about 77,000 miles on it and it now has over 180,000. The engine is in great condition, but I have had to put quite a lot of money into repair in the suspension system. One of my biggest complaints about Mazdas are the cost of the parts--in my experience they are upwards of three times the cost of your standard domestic car. My 626 has served me well, but when it has needed repair, it cost a lot! My advice to those purchasing a Mazda: Find a good mechanice who knows Mazdas well.

Favorite Features

Long life and quiet engine, even at 183,000 miles!

Suggested Improvements

Improved suspension system.

227k and still going...
By gab

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

this car is really great... i know its not a muscle car but it can accelerate quite good... i had this car for the last 12 years and at 227 000 miles, its still going great. the most money ive put in it is for a paint job and thats it.... never had to work in the engine except for plug and belts... Great car

Favorite Features

reliability... reliability...reliability

Suggested Improvements

horse power....cup holder

227k and still going...
By Gab

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Favorite Features

reliability... reliability...reliability

Suggested Improvements

horse power....cup holder

Great Japanese car
By Corrie

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I've had my 626 for 7 years, including two cross country trips and never had any problems except replacing tires, timing belt - normmal wear things. It's got a lot of pep on the highway and runs better at 80 mph then 40! The paint is starting to fade but other then that I think it's got lots more miles on it.

Favorite Features

2.2 engine, seats fold down from trunk, AC still keeps me cool after 11 years!

Suggested Improvements

Too bad Mazda missed the airbag boat, also no cup holder.

I like my 626
By steveray

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car has been great. I have put over 100,000 miles on it in the city, short commute (5-15 miles each way, from different homes), i.e. hard miles. I have never had a major problem with the car, it handles well, but it is showing its age now. I know that for about $1000 I could probably take 5 years off its age.

Favorite Features

29 mpg fuel economy over the years, great snow handling

Love It
By Martin_andrew

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 12yrs and the only problems was with the A/C fan and the sound system but it only went out on me recently and before it had no problem. I get about like 28 mpg.

Favorite Features

I like the 2.2 Liter engine and the acceleration and how the engine sounds.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower and more Torque.