Used 1991 Mazda 626 DX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

What a car!!!
By love_my_626

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $350 with a bad head gasket because the parents had let their son drive in to school for three years. I put about $600 into fixing it up. Drove it for 4 years without a problem. About 32-34 MPG at first, and then recently got about 35-38 MPG on freeway. One tank I got 542 miles with just over 13 gallons. That's about 41 MPG! The head gasket went out again last year in the winter and so I bought an oldsmobile because the though of fixing a head gasket in sub-zero weather made me cringe. The olds got about 24 MPG and drove like a boat. I just fixed the mazda and it drives like a racecar and got 37 MPG on the last tank. I love this car!!! The head gasket parts cost $250.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, simple to fix, comfortable seats, quality interior components and very reliable. No wonder the japanese cars have outsold amercan cars fro so long, this car is leaps and bounds ahead of similar year and model american cars, and it is fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The head lights are dim, and there is considerable road noise over other cars. Not alot to complain about.

Great, cheap, but fun transportation
By monster

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

With 186,000 miles and $850 from a kid that just graduated from mechanic school and had done alot of work on it for class. I was changing jobs where I needed to drive alot and need a good MPG car with gas prices approaching $4 a gallon and rising. This car has not disappointed at all. I have had to put some money into but nothing expensive and I was able to do the work myself. Its fun to drive with 5-speed and gas mileage is terrific. I bought some wider tires and rims from a 97 626 and it handles great. If it was a hatchback I would have the best vehicle ever. The car has already paid for itself as I have driven it 12,000 miles many of those for work. Great purchase would easily buy again.

Favorite Features

5-speed plenty of zip. Great gas mileage 26+ city 34+ hwy. No rattles for an almost 20 year old car with almost 200,000 miles. Easy to work on. AC still cold. Its a basic model car thats fun to drive. Front seat folds down to fit long items in the car. Seat adjustments make it fit like a glove.

Suggested Improvements

I guess a cuphold would be nice, but not a huge deal for me. Thats it. A great car in my opinion.

Love, Love, Love My Mazda 626!
By woodlakes

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new in 1991 with 10 miles on it. It now has over 130,000, and I still love it! Very reliable, great gas mileage, looks and runs great still! Only problem is major paint oxidization, but then, it never had a garage to sleep in. Could also use a cup holder. Interior is just as nice as when I purchased it, except for a small crack in the dash vinyl, at the corner of the defroster. :-( Not once have I had any major repairs. I'm a fanatic for clean oil in my car, keeping my plugs clean, and keeping the tires properly inflated. Thanks, Mazda, for building a wonderful, dependable car! I'll drive it until the doors fall off! FYI - I also own a '87 Mazda B2200- love it too!

Favorite Features

Quality for the price! Can't beat it! Plus, I feel a classic line that has not gone out of style. Still looks great!

Suggested Improvements

Needs a better quality paint, and add a cupholder. Other than that, I still love my car 17 years later!!!

I love my Mazda 626
By quantpro

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Almost no repairs with this car. I am the first and only owner. More reliable then my 1990 Camry even.

Favorite Features

5 speed manual.

Yuck!!!
By Ldowdy

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I hate this car. I have had problems with the brakes off and on. A spark plug flew out of the engine block while I was driving it. Now it doesn't always start in park and often stalls at stops and hesitates when I accelerate from a standstill. I can't wait to get rid of it. I also find that it doesn't have much get up and go on the freeway. Which would be o.k. if the car ran well and was reliable in other aspects

Suggested Improvements

burn it