1991 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
What a car!!!
By love_my_626 on 06/01/11 10:49 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $350 with a bad head gasket because the parents had let their son drive in to school for three years. I put about $600 into fixing it up. Drove it for 4 years without a problem. About 32-34 MPG at first, and then recently got about 35-38 MPG on freeway. One tank I got 542 miles with just over 13 gallons. That's about 41 MPG! The head gasket went out again last year in the winter and so I bought an oldsmobile because the though of fixing a head gasket in sub-zero weather made me cringe. The olds got about 24 MPG and drove like a boat. I just fixed the mazda and it drives like a racecar and got 37 MPG on the last tank. I love this car!!! The head gasket parts cost $250.

Great, cheap, but fun transportation
By monster on 08/28/09 09:57 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

With 186,000 miles and $850 from a kid that just graduated from mechanic school and had done alot of work on it for class. I was changing jobs where I needed to drive alot and need a good MPG car with gas prices approaching $4 a gallon and rising. This car has not disappointed at all. I have had to put some money into but nothing expensive and I was able to do the work myself. Its fun to drive with 5-speed and gas mileage is terrific. I bought some wider tires and rims from a 97 626 and it handles great. If it was a hatchback I would have the best vehicle ever. The car has already paid for itself as I have driven it 12,000 miles many of those for work. Great purchase would easily buy again.

Love, Love, Love My Mazda 626!
By woodlakes on 04/09/08 21:26 PM (PDT)

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new in 1991 with 10 miles on it. It now has over 130,000, and I still love it! Very reliable, great gas mileage, looks and runs great still! Only problem is major paint oxidization, but then, it never had a garage to sleep in. Could also use a cup holder. Interior is just as nice as when I purchased it, except for a small crack in the dash vinyl, at the corner of the defroster. :-( Not once have I had any major repairs. I'm a fanatic for clean oil in my car, keeping my plugs clean, and keeping the tires properly inflated. Thanks, Mazda, for building a wonderful, dependable car! I'll drive it until the doors fall off! FYI - I also own a '87 Mazda B2200- love it too!

I love my Mazda 626
By quantpro on 04/16/07 10:23 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Almost no repairs with this car. I am the first and only owner. More reliable then my 1990 Camry even.

Yuck!!!
By Ldowdy on 08/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I hate this car. I have had problems with the brakes off and on. A spark plug flew out of the engine block while I was driving it. Now it doesn't always start in park and often stalls at stops and hesitates when I accelerate from a standstill. I can't wait to get rid of it. I also find that it doesn't have much get up and go on the freeway. Which would be o.k. if the car ran well and was reliable in other aspects

My mazda has been great!
By LMS on 09/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have had my Mazda 626 for four years. I've been pretty rough on it, but two growing boys and a husband riding in it almost every day for four years can be hard on any car. The biggest problem I've had with my car was when the water pump went out about 3 years ago when I was driving back and forth to college. The minor problem I'm having right now is that the driver's side door mechanism is broken and I have to open the door from the inside. Other than those things and a slight oil leak, my Mazda has been the best car I've owned.

626-Reliable, Reliable, Reliable
By trooper on 12/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Other than the normal maintenance, I've had some minor problems with this car, but nothing that a mechanic couldn't fix. I drive it about 22000 miles per year back and forth to work, run errands, etc. It's a steal if you can find one with low miles. The only problem I've had with it is the ignitor coil in the distributor. One day, it just wouldn't crank or do anything. Had to have it towed to the shop. Fixed the problem, total outlay: about $320 for parts and labor. All in all, this is my favorite car since I've been driving for about nine years.

Expensive to Repair!
By NeedANewCar on 11/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I got my Mazda when it had about 77,000 miles on it and it now has over 180,000. The engine is in great condition, but I have had to put quite a lot of money into repair in the suspension system. One of my biggest complaints about Mazdas are the cost of the parts--in my experience they are upwards of three times the cost of your standard domestic car. My 626 has served me well, but when it has needed repair, it cost a lot! My advice to those purchasing a Mazda: Find a good mechanice who knows Mazdas well.

Great Japanese car
By Corrie on 08/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I've had my 626 for 7 years, including two cross country trips and never had any problems except replacing tires, timing belt - normmal wear things. It's got a lot of pep on the highway and runs better at 80 mph then 40! The paint is starting to fade but other then that I think it's got lots more miles on it.

I like my 626
By steveray on 07/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

This car has been great. I have put over 100,000 miles on it in the city, short commute (5-15 miles each way, from different homes), i.e. hard miles. I have never had a major problem with the car, it handles well, but it is showing its age now. I know that for about $1000 I could probably take 5 years off its age.