good student car
By surviving student on
1990 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan
A good student car. The exterior design ages well, and does not look too obsolete after 13 years old. People would believe it if I said it's a '96. The 2.2-liter engine is powerful enough in most situations even with automatic. Reliability - so far so good for me. I can take this thing in a cross-country road trip with heavy load, and I don't have to worry about the car. Recommended maintianance for fellow owners - seal up the "accordion" air intake thingy with an electric tape: Improves mileage and smoothes idle. Flush the radiator before things go horrible. AC convertion to R134a helps to keep the cost low and it also puts new compressor oil in there.
Favorite Features
Plain innocent looks. When I had Honda Prelude, cops got me for going at 80MPH. With this Mazda, I even passed this one police cruiser and they didn't seem to care this innocent- looking beige four-door going over 90MPH. This car must have some sort of stealth paint on it.
Suggested Improvements
No FORD parts please - mine was built in Flat Rock MI, and my sway bar oesn't look like anything in mazda books. Found one in a Ford book and it's not the best design out there (bushings meant to give up in less than 100,000 mi and the motor outlasts that by a wide margin)