1990 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Oldie but goodie
By Dave on 06/09/10 08:59 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Got my first one in 2002 with 120k on it, drove it for another 100k when the transmission finally crapped out. Liked it so much, I found one on eBay with 100k on it, bought it drove it cross-country (PA to CO) sight unseen and had zero mechanical issues with it. Had a timing belt fail about 6 months later, but other wise it's been great. It has a persistent oil leak (dunno where), and the A/C pooped out a while ago but that's pretty minor for a run-around/short-distance commuter car. I wish it has cup holders (tired of spilling beverages), but it still runs strong, no other mechanical issues. VERY pleased with the quality/longevity of both of these vehicles.

Awesome CAR!
By Rebwil on 08/10/08 08:33 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Best car ever! Runs with minor repairs: intake tube, clutch, air conditioning long gone, interior feel apart, but replaced it. Clutch problems lately, replaced radiator. Brakes several times. Leaks oil now, quart a month. Automatic seat belt and windows going. Still love it, and trying to hang on to it till it's twenty. Well worth the money!

Fix the rear main seal!
By barbara on 02/16/07 07:55 AM (PST)

1990 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have just replaced my loyal Mazda 626. Bought it in 1998 and it now has 178,000 miles. Really still love it but it has NO HEAT. Tried everything. The two major problem areas I have found are, 1) rear main seal. Every Mazda I have had leaks oil from the seal. Had this one replaced and it only lasted about two years and started leaking again. 2) Radiator. For some reason Mazda radiators develop leaks at the top where the I.D. imprint is. Car went through two radiators and I gave up. Otherwise I really loved this car and it was great driving, great handling and very reliable.

What a Gem!
By RogerH on 09/22/05 12:10 PM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

My son bought this car in high school. I inherited it when he bought a Prelude in 2003. I use it as a commuter. Absolutely a great car! I have 148,000 miles on it now, purchased with 115,000. Of course, it required some repairs and I wonder if it is wise to spend the money. But the car has rewarded my decision by running and running and running. AC is ice cold, power windows, door locks, cruise control, intermittent wipers all work. I love zipping by all the SUV's stuck at the gas pump -- 23 miles per gallon city driving with AC. Love the 5-speed box. My mechanic who is a Chevy man said "Nice little car but don't tell anyone I told you that." This from a Corvette owner.

Great, reliable car
By rozzyr on 05/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I've had my 1990 Mazda 626 for the past 11 years. For the most part, I've only had to do maintenance like changing belts, oil changes, tuneups. I just recently changed the radiator which is good for a 14 year old car. The transmission is fine. The only thing I wish is that the exterior held up.

Like that bunny, this car keeps going.
By SaintNick on 08/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Excellent mileage with the 2.2 litre. Averaged 40+ mpg last year on a 2200+ mile trip. Interior in excellent shape. Ditto for the exterior in spite of our harsh winter conditions with tons of salt on what passes for roads up here. Problem areas..exhaust system and front brakes. Have to keep an eye on these and maintain regularly. Other than these items, fill up the tank and away you go. Car is very reliable.

Great car
By jdog on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Good fun car.Handels well car gets good gas milege and is extremly durable.

Great car
By JDOG on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Good fun car.Handels well car gets good gas milege and is extremly durable.

good student car
By surviving student on 12/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

A good student car. The exterior design ages well, and does not look too obsolete after 13 years old. People would believe it if I said it's a '96. The 2.2-liter engine is powerful enough in most situations even with automatic. Reliability - so far so good for me. I can take this thing in a cross-country road trip with heavy load, and I don't have to worry about the car. Recommended maintianance for fellow owners - seal up the "accordion" air intake thingy with an electric tape: Improves mileage and smoothes idle. Flush the radiator before things go horrible. AC convertion to R134a helps to keep the cost low and it also puts new compressor oil in there.

Mazda 626 - best car I'll ever own
By J Preston on 12/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this 626 new for $13,000 in 1990. It is an LX 5-speed. This car gets 32 mpg to and from work and as much as 37 mpg on trips. The car has over 205K miles and has never been to a mechanic. I performed all the routine maintenance - oil changes, timing belt chnages, brakes, etc. The only thing that went "bad" was the EGR valve at 160K miles (really this is a maintenance item). I can only hope to own another car this dependable and cheap to operate.