1990 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Oldie but goodie
By Dave on 06/09/10 08:59 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Got my first one in 2002 with 120k on it, drove it for another 100k when the transmission finally crapped out. Liked it so much, I found one on eBay with 100k on it, bought it drove it cross-country (PA to CO) sight unseen and had zero mechanical issues with it. Had a timing belt fail about 6 months later, but other wise it's been great. It has a persistent oil leak (dunno where), and the A/C pooped out a while ago but that's pretty minor for a run-around/short-distance commuter car. I wish it has cup holders (tired of spilling beverages), but it still runs strong, no other mechanical issues. VERY pleased with the quality/longevity of both of these vehicles.

Awesome CAR!
By Rebwil on 08/10/08 08:33 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Best car ever! Runs with minor repairs: intake tube, clutch, air conditioning long gone, interior feel apart, but replaced it. Clutch problems lately, replaced radiator. Brakes several times. Leaks oil now, quart a month. Automatic seat belt and windows going. Still love it, and trying to hang on to it till it's twenty. Well worth the money!

Fix the rear main seal!
By barbara on 02/16/07 07:55 AM (PST)

1990 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have just replaced my loyal Mazda 626. Bought it in 1998 and it now has 178,000 miles. Really still love it but it has NO HEAT. Tried everything. The two major problem areas I have found are, 1) rear main seal. Every Mazda I have had leaks oil from the seal. Had this one replaced and it only lasted about two years and started leaking again. 2) Radiator. For some reason Mazda radiators develop leaks at the top where the I.D. imprint is. Car went through two radiators and I gave up. Otherwise I really loved this car and it was great driving, great handling and very reliable.

What a Gem!
By RogerH on 09/22/05 12:10 PM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

My son bought this car in high school. I inherited it when he bought a Prelude in 2003. I use it as a commuter. Absolutely a great car! I have 148,000 miles on it now, purchased with 115,000. Of course, it required some repairs and I wonder if it is wise to spend the money. But the car has rewarded my decision by running and running and running. AC is ice cold, power windows, door locks, cruise control, intermittent wipers all work. I love zipping by all the SUV's stuck at the gas pump -- 23 miles per gallon city driving with AC. Love the 5-speed box. My mechanic who is a Chevy man said "Nice little car but don't tell anyone I told you that." This from a Corvette owner.

Great, reliable car
By rozzyr on 05/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I've had my 1990 Mazda 626 for the past 11 years. For the most part, I've only had to do maintenance like changing belts, oil changes, tuneups. I just recently changed the radiator which is good for a 14 year old car. The transmission is fine. The only thing I wish is that the exterior held up.

almost like having a free car
By Glenn {eters on 05/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

13 and a half years and 178550 miles-- this car still starts every time. It's called the Mazda miracle; no matter how bad the car looks, it will always start. Would you believe 32 miles to the gallon in suburban commuting (manual transmission). This vehicle still has its original engine, transmission, clutch, exhaust. At $12000 purchase price new, it works out less than $1000 per year.

Best Car I've ever owned
By Jerome81 on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Thats right, I've had this car since it was brand new. Picked it up for ~$11,500 in 1990. 5 speed, ac, cruise. This is the most reliable, costless car I've ever owned, including several Hondas since 1990. 35mpg. Acceleration decent. replaced CV joints at 100K miles and AC fan at 120K miles ($80). original clutch. routine maintenance only (brake pads, timing belt, oil, etc). Seems to have another 100K+miles left. Straight up the best car I've ever had. Just a jewel of a car.

Like that bunny, this car keeps going.
By SaintNick on 08/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Excellent mileage with the 2.2 litre. Averaged 40+ mpg last year on a 2200+ mile trip. Interior in excellent shape. Ditto for the exterior in spite of our harsh winter conditions with tons of salt on what passes for roads up here. Problem areas..exhaust system and front brakes. Have to keep an eye on these and maintain regularly. Other than these items, fill up the tank and away you go. Car is very reliable.

The most Reliable car
By mazdagirl on 07/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I have never had to put a dime into this car other than routine maintenance. It is over 13 years old with 140,000 miles and its just as reliable today as ever. I highly recommend this car.

reliable
By batxel on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 626 Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I would say this is the most reliable thing on the planet earth (manufactured in japan). There's only been small things that had gone wrong with the car that could be done myself. The radiator started leaking at 145,000 and bought a new one did it myself (extremely easy to do). It also burns a lot of oil. I beat the hell out of this car and its still running I was able to get it up to 115 mpg with a/c on so the car is very fast with 115 hp rating. Its also good on gas and has excellent acceleration for a 5-speed 4-banger. It now has 167,000 miles and it runs quite and doesnt shake at all. Will this car ever die?