1990 Mazda 626 LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Oldie but goodie
By Dave

1990 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Got my first one in 2002 with 120k on it, drove it for another 100k when the transmission finally crapped out. Liked it so much, I found one on eBay with 100k on it, bought it drove it cross-country (PA to CO) sight unseen and had zero mechanical issues with it. Had a timing belt fail about 6 months later, but other wise it's been great. It has a persistent oil leak (dunno where), and the A/C pooped out a while ago but that's pretty minor for a run-around/short-distance commuter car. I wish it has cup holders (tired of spilling beverages), but it still runs strong, no other mechanical issues. VERY pleased with the quality/longevity of both of these vehicles.

Favorite Features

Cheap, small, easy to drive, plenty of power, good handling, easy to work on (routine maintenance), comfortable, sufficient cargo capacity for two (plus gear) but it would be small for three/four.

Suggested Improvements

CUP HOLDERS. I doubt Mazda is going to go back and retrofit them at this point, but it would have been nice. Also, a better center armrest (taller/longer).

Awesome CAR!
By Rebwil

1990 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Best car ever! Runs with minor repairs: intake tube, clutch, air conditioning long gone, interior feel apart, but replaced it. Clutch problems lately, replaced radiator. Brakes several times. Leaks oil now, quart a month. Automatic seat belt and windows going. Still love it, and trying to hang on to it till it's twenty. Well worth the money!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, but I think this has been added to the newer models.

Fix the rear main seal!
By barbara

1990 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I have just replaced my loyal Mazda 626. Bought it in 1998 and it now has 178,000 miles. Really still love it but it has NO HEAT. Tried everything. The two major problem areas I have found are, 1) rear main seal. Every Mazda I have had leaks oil from the seal. Had this one replaced and it only lasted about two years and started leaking again. 2) Radiator. For some reason Mazda radiators develop leaks at the top where the I.D. imprint is. Car went through two radiators and I gave up. Otherwise I really loved this car and it was great driving, great handling and very reliable.

Favorite Features

Great road handling.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the oil leak problem. P.S. no cup holders.

What a Gem!
By RogerH

1990 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

My son bought this car in high school. I inherited it when he bought a Prelude in 2003. I use it as a commuter. Absolutely a great car! I have 148,000 miles on it now, purchased with 115,000. Of course, it required some repairs and I wonder if it is wise to spend the money. But the car has rewarded my decision by running and running and running. AC is ice cold, power windows, door locks, cruise control, intermittent wipers all work. I love zipping by all the SUV's stuck at the gas pump -- 23 miles per gallon city driving with AC. Love the 5-speed box. My mechanic who is a Chevy man said "Nice little car but don't tell anyone I told you that." This from a Corvette owner.

Favorite Features

Performance, economy, handling and reliability, reliability and reliability. Very comfortable and supportive seats.

Suggested Improvements

Small glove box. "Tinny" sounding doors. Where are the cup holders?

Great, reliable car
By rozzyr

1990 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I've had my 1990 Mazda 626 for the past 11 years. For the most part, I've only had to do maintenance like changing belts, oil changes, tuneups. I just recently changed the radiator which is good for a 14 year old car. The transmission is fine. The only thing I wish is that the exterior held up.

Favorite Features

Solid feeling car. Most cars today look cheap inside like they'd crumble on impact at 10 MPH.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint job.

Like that bunny, this car keeps going.
By SaintNick

1990 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Excellent mileage with the 2.2 litre. Averaged 40+ mpg last year on a 2200+ mile trip. Interior in excellent shape. Ditto for the exterior in spite of our harsh winter conditions with tons of salt on what passes for roads up here. Problem areas..exhaust system and front brakes. Have to keep an eye on these and maintain regularly. Other than these items, fill up the tank and away you go. Car is very reliable.

Favorite Features

You turn the key and it starts, everytime. Gas consumption is pretty meagre, even with the A/C running.

Suggested Improvements

Larger front brakes.

Great car
By JDOG

1990 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Good fun car.Handels well car gets good gas milege and is extremly durable.

Great car
By jdog

1990 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Good fun car.Handels well car gets good gas milege and is extremly durable.

good student car
By surviving student

1990 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

A good student car. The exterior design ages well, and does not look too obsolete after 13 years old. People would believe it if I said it's a '96. The 2.2-liter engine is powerful enough in most situations even with automatic. Reliability - so far so good for me. I can take this thing in a cross-country road trip with heavy load, and I don't have to worry about the car. Recommended maintianance for fellow owners - seal up the "accordion" air intake thingy with an electric tape: Improves mileage and smoothes idle. Flush the radiator before things go horrible. AC convertion to R134a helps to keep the cost low and it also puts new compressor oil in there.

Favorite Features

Plain innocent looks. When I had Honda Prelude, cops got me for going at 80MPH. With this Mazda, I even passed this one police cruiser and they didn't seem to care this innocent- looking beige four-door going over 90MPH. This car must have some sort of stealth paint on it.

Suggested Improvements

No FORD parts please - mine was built in Flat Rock MI, and my sway bar oesn't look like anything in mazda books. Found one in a Ford book and it's not the best design out there (bushings meant to give up in less than 100,000 mi and the motor outlasts that by a wide margin)

Mazda 626 - best car I'll ever own
By J Preston

1990 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this 626 new for $13,000 in 1990. It is an LX 5-speed. This car gets 32 mpg to and from work and as much as 37 mpg on trips. The car has over 205K miles and has never been to a mechanic. I performed all the routine maintenance - oil changes, timing belt chnages, brakes, etc. The only thing that went "bad" was the EGR valve at 160K miles (really this is a maintenance item). I can only hope to own another car this dependable and cheap to operate.

Favorite Features

gas mileage and reliability

Suggested Improvements

Not applicable!