1990 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
almost like having a free car
By Glenn {eters on 05/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

13 and a half years and 178550 miles-- this car still starts every time. It's called the Mazda miracle; no matter how bad the car looks, it will always start. Would you believe 32 miles to the gallon in suburban commuting (manual transmission). This vehicle still has its original engine, transmission, clutch, exhaust. At $12000 purchase price new, it works out less than $1000 per year.

Best Car I've ever owned
By Jerome81 on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

Thats right, I've had this car since it was brand new. Picked it up for ~$11,500 in 1990. 5 speed, ac, cruise. This is the most reliable, costless car I've ever owned, including several Hondas since 1990. 35mpg. Acceleration decent. replaced CV joints at 100K miles and AC fan at 120K miles ($80). original clutch. routine maintenance only (brake pads, timing belt, oil, etc). Seems to have another 100K+miles left. Straight up the best car I've ever had. Just a jewel of a car.

The most Reliable car
By mazdagirl on 07/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

I have never had to put a dime into this car other than routine maintenance. It is over 13 years old with 140,000 miles and its just as reliable today as ever. I highly recommend this car.

reliable
By batxel on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

I would say this is the most reliable thing on the planet earth (manufactured in japan). There's only been small things that had gone wrong with the car that could be done myself. The radiator started leaking at 145,000 and bought a new one did it myself (extremely easy to do). It also burns a lot of oil. I beat the hell out of this car and its still running I was able to get it up to 115 mpg with a/c on so the car is very fast with 115 hp rating. Its also good on gas and has excellent acceleration for a 5-speed 4-banger. It now has 167,000 miles and it runs quite and doesnt shake at all. Will this car ever die?

Very Reliable Car
By JetJock on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

Mine is actually a 1989 Mazda 626, however they are virtually the same car. The only real difference is the steering wheel and the rear tail lights. This car is as reliable as my Golden Retriever. I did change the radiator, both drive axles, starter, the air conditioning compressor, and repaired the clutch master and slave cylinders. The clutch is original. Overall not bad for almost 200k. Much of the work I was able to do myself for not much Mooolaa$$$.

old and dependable
By schadenfreude on 08/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 626 DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and have put 159000 miles on it. The motor is still very strong, but has always burned oil--now about a quart every 1500 miles. I have had to replace a rear wheel bearing, both half shafts, and the radiator. The rest of the car is most original. The paint is badly faded, but I just drive it to work. Overall, the best $12000 investment I've made.