Used 2014 Mazda 5 Minivan Consumer Reviews - 5 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mazda 5 Minivan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 model:

2014 Mazda5 definitely zooms!
By RW

2014 Mazda 5 Minivan Grand Touring 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

We bought our Grand Touring model new. We currently have 32,000 miles. Other than the factory tires not lasting very long and then discovering a factory issue involving the trailing arms not being in spec (dealer fixed), this Mazda5 is awesome! It's solidly reliable and works great for my 2 kids (one is over 6 feet tall and fits w/no problems). Actually, he likes to sit in the 3rd row, so yes, a six footer can fit fine, you just move the middle row captain's chairs up a bit to make it all work. We've taken many a road trip for week long stays and had no problems fitting all of our gear, 4 people, my wife's sewing machine, fishing stuff, etc., inside. Yes, it was jam packed, but worked fine and didn't have any problems climbing the mountains of New Mexico. The Mazda5 is very easy to live with, fits in all parking spaces and really does live bigger than your typical - er, heavy and ugly and gas-thirsty minivans. The Bluetooth works flawlessly and the automatic climate control is excellent w/plenty of fan options. The rear seats are usually left folded down unless a friend or two join us and we pack 'em all in. Visibility is excellent. Road noise is a bit more than in a BMW or something, but no worse than most cars. The leather has held up well and looks new - I do clean and detail the van on occasion. Definitely get the windows tinted...with so many to look out, it would be very hot inside w/out. The sunroof doesn't leak and works great. The factory radio/cd player is ok, nothing to write home about. Handling and performance are definitely high points - manual shifting and all, but the car does feel slower w/a heavy load...as expected. Gas mileage is averaging a very good 24.1 MPG in mostly commuting/city driving. We've hit 28 MPGs on non-loaded up road trips. No issues at all externally - paint, trim, etc. are all very high quality and still look brand new. Some minor complaints - tire noise, squeaky driver side sliding door, cheap wipers. The Mazda5 is definitely a great and solid vehicle that can be had for well-under $30K fully loaded. Rock-solid reliability, no engine/trans issues, excellent brakes, fun handling, easy parking, great windows, and flexible/practical seating/hauling options make this a great buy...especially if you snag one now, as they are no longer going to import these to the States. You could probably get a screaming deal on left-over units out there. The Mazda5 replaced our Mazda Tribute as we needed a bigger hauling capability and occasional seating for 6, but didn't want the big $$$ pricetag or lousy handling/MPGs of "regular" minivans or larger SUVs.

Excellent family vehicle on the cheap!
By Eric Englebretson

2014 Mazda 5 Minivan Touring 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 5A)

We've owned our used 2014 Mazda 5 for about a month now. The experience has been great (even better coming from a 2006 Mazda 5 which we effectively beat to death ending up with around 155K miles in Texas heat and winters). The 2014 is largely the same as the 2006 but with a lot of "under-the-hood" improvements. The biggest detractor and disappointment is the gas mileage. Right now we're only seeing about 17mpg per tank. I think my old 2000 Chevy Silverado with a V8 could match that (but couldn't match people hauling in such a family-friendly package). We looked at several crossovers, but nothing beats the utility of sliding doors when you have children under 10. Since Mazda doesn't make the 5 anymore due to slow sales, it depreciates quickly - allowing us to pick it up for cheap - but if you're going to keep the vehicle until it dies, depreciation really isn't a factor in the purchase decision. The 5 isn't a master at any one task, but is a great family hauler for two adults and two kids with lots of room for whatever the kids bring into the car.

Choose your niche
By dougiesc

2014 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Definitely a niche car, best suited for a family of 4 plus groceries or luggage. It works for us, but if you really need the passenger or luggage space, go with a full-sized minivan. This isn't it. It is basically a 4-seat wagon with a couple of child-sized extra seats in the back--which you can't use if you carry much luggage. However, the usual three-passenger sedan bench seat is replaced with two full captain's chairs and a table/platform for drinks, books, whatever. The car is solid and quiet. Good adult leg- and head-room (except for those pesky far-back seats). It is cheaper than any full-sized minivan, gets somewhat better fuel economy, and is more maneuverable.

You can seat six in a pinch (and I do mean pinch). Four very comfortably. It is a nice height between SUVs or minivans which you have to climb up into, and sedans which you slide down into. The minivan-style sliding back doors are easy to use and wonderful in parking lots. Good visibility all around.

The Mazda5 is a compromise between something like a Honda Fit and a minivan. I would like the extra space of a minivan, and the higher fuel economy of the mini-car, but I realize I can't have both.

Watch out for bad paint on Mazda5 and no warranty coverage!
By stowevter

2014 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

We have a Mazda5 Sport with only 22,000 miles. The paint around both front wheel wells has flaked off to bare metal. And, the paint along the rocker panels on both sides and up the doors 12-18 inches has also flaked off, ruining the finish. Mazda refuses to cover the repair of this and says that something on the roads "back east" used for snow removal caused the paint to fail. Unbelievable but they won't cover a fix. I have filed an arbitration claim with the Better Business Bureau. Beware of Mazda cars "back east" -- they have a paint adhesion problem! see site: my mazda sucks dot com

Fix the paint.

It's not a minivan it's a SUPER WAGON
By wnull

2014 Mazda 5 Minivan Sport 4dr Minivan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

when our 2007 mazda3 was totaled we knew we wanted another mazda.
we had that car since new with 130k on it and no issues.
We also wanted something for our growing family but yet something kind of fun to drive.
My wife refuses to drive anything but a manual transmission.
So the mazda5 has fit the bill for everything.
we don't usually have more than 4 people in the car at a time but it's nice to know we can fit 6 if needed.
If you plan on taking this for long vacations using all six seats..BUY the roof rack!
MPG so far has averaged 28/ best 32..mostly hwy and long stretches of 40mph roads during my commute.
For a young couple that like smaller maneuverable cars this is the way to go!

Manual Transmission! Simple car! I guess we are weird but we like that it doesn't have a huge touch screen in it. We like that there isn't a lot of distractions and instead just love the drive. The Super Wagon is actually pretty darn fun to toss around corners (when there's not kids in the back of course). Love the sliding second row seats and the under storage/flip out cup holder. We play in a Scottish Bagpipe band and so far there's all kinds of places to put our stuff for long trips! Aux jack and usb ports are in a fantastic spot.. easy to access. I hate when the aux jack is in a glove box.

Don't punish me for wanting a manual transmission. I'd love heated leather seats..much easier to clean with kids! Leather wrapped steering wheel would be nice! the mpg trip computer is turned off for the base model wtf!?!? how about stock foglights. I purchased a set and will install them but come on it's not even and option! allow the front seats to go back just an inch more...I fit just comfortably at 6' but my friend who's 6'2" looked cramped and uncomfortable. I understand this would eat up some of the back seat area.