1993 Mazda 323 1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Fun little runner
By 323driver

1993 Mazda 323 SE 2dr Hatchback

This is my fun little burner, perfect little runner, starts everytime. Never had any trouble with it, easy tire squealer (lol), and a fun winter drifter if you're into it. All around nice little car, even if it's not the most powerful. Only prob I've had is that the rear windshield washer fluid doesn't work (ie-squirt out) Oh, also handy is the hatch/fold down seats. Recently threw a 50cc scooter in there to take back to a friend with no trouble. Overall, as far as everything goes quality is good, everything works as it should.

Favorite Features

Green gauges still look good, nice seats (not vinyl), radio isn't bad at all for the age (the optional rear speakers help with that), like I said, easy tire squealer and fwd drifter if that's your thing.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a short throw shifter. The gas cap door doesn't pop open which leads to some interesting gymnastics to get it open, lol. Little more power under the hood would be nice.

Diamond in the rough
By 323 rally star

1993 Mazda 323 SE 2dr Hatchback

This car is definitely not the best looking on the road, but it's zippy and drives like a go-kart. I've stripped out the interior save the driver seat and sound system, no A/C and manual steering, I managed to cut the weight down to 1783 lbs. so the pickup on it is actually quite quick. And with gas the way it is, the mileage is great. I'm installing a BP-ZE motor from a Miata that is turbo'd and puts out around 210 hp, so its flying like no other, a 1700 lb car with over 200 hp has an outstanding power-weight ratio, as well if you get the gear ratios altered a bit with a longer 1st and 2nd gear, the overall top speed is a lot better!

Favorite Features

I quite enjoy the size of it being small and being able to squeeze through spots and park very easily.

11.5 years of ownership
By Tanya Eimantas

1993 Mazda 323 SE 2dr Hatchback

Only had one problem with transmission, which had to be entirely replaced in 1997. Was done under the extended warranty. Good maintenance = good performance. Still going strong! Reliability is everything. Outlasted the marriage and saw two kids from infancy to double digits.

Favorite Features

Reliability.

Great, Dependable Car
By clarez

1993 Mazda 323 SE 2dr Hatchback

This was my first new car purchase. My car will be 10 years old and runs like a new car. Requiring minimal repairs. I love my car! My only complaint is the driver's seat is too low to get in and out of the car comfortably.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage. Unbelievable, compare to todays new cars.

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest that the manufacuter think about a more comfortable driver's seat design. Perhaps one that is adjustable.

My Little car
By Canadian Grrl

1993 Mazda 323 SE 2dr Hatchback

This is my first car. Although I had some trouble with a bad waterpump, everything else is great. It could look a bit cooler. It handles great and the mileage is awesome.

Favorite Features

I like the hatchback because it gives me so much more room and it's cooler.

Suggested Improvements

The woven vinyl seats get hot in the summer.