Used 1993 Mazda 323 Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 323 model:

Fun little runner
By 323driver

1993 Mazda 323 SE 2dr Hatchback

This is my fun little burner, perfect little runner, starts everytime. Never had any trouble with it, easy tire squealer (lol), and a fun winter drifter if you're into it. All around nice little car, even if it's not the most powerful. Only prob I've had is that the rear windshield washer fluid doesn't work (ie-squirt out) Oh, also handy is the hatch/fold down seats. Recently threw a 50cc scooter in there to take back to a friend with no trouble. Overall, as far as everything goes quality is good, everything works as it should.

Green gauges still look good, nice seats (not vinyl), radio isn't bad at all for the age (the optional rear speakers help with that), like I said, easy tire squealer and fwd drifter if that's your thing.

Could use a short throw shifter. The gas cap door doesn't pop open which leads to some interesting gymnastics to get it open, lol. Little more power under the hood would be nice.

Diamond in the rough
By 323 rally star

1993 Mazda 323 SE 2dr Hatchback

This car is definitely not the best looking on the road, but it's zippy and drives like a go-kart. I've stripped out the interior save the driver seat and sound system, no A/C and manual steering, I managed to cut the weight down to 1783 lbs. so the pickup on it is actually quite quick. And with gas the way it is, the mileage is great. I'm installing a BP-ZE motor from a Miata that is turbo'd and puts out around 210 hp, so its flying like no other, a 1700 lb car with over 200 hp has an outstanding power-weight ratio, as well if you get the gear ratios altered a bit with a longer 1st and 2nd gear, the overall top speed is a lot better!

I quite enjoy the size of it being small and being able to squeeze through spots and park very easily.

11.5 years of ownership
By Tanya Eimantas

1993 Mazda 323 SE 2dr Hatchback

Only had one problem with transmission, which had to be entirely replaced in 1997. Was done under the extended warranty. Good maintenance = good performance. Still going strong! Reliability is everything. Outlasted the marriage and saw two kids from infancy to double digits.

Reliability.

I love this car
By UCLAis1

1993 Mazda 323 2dr Hatchback

I can't believe they don't still make
this machine. My brother turned me on
to Mazda with his GLC, and I got a 323
Sedan in 1986. This is my second car
over 17 years. Mazdas are reliable.
There is cavernous room, super punch,
great handling, and it always starts in
the morning. I take my car offroading!

The handling is excellent. The space is great, and I'm 6'2", 215 pounds.

Make more of these.

Fun to Drive Economy car
By Crazy_J

1993 Mazda 323 2dr Hatchback

My reliable 4dr 1980 Buick engine
flooded with oil after it was hit
underneath by the street as I came off
the lot, my dad rewarded me with a
beautful apple candy red skylark. Then
this skylark starting having
transmission slipping problems, with
every transmission put in it so far!
But my sister was kind of enough to let
me drive her Mazda 323 until my skylark
is fixed and ever since then driving
has been fun. It's very peppy for a
82hp car with only 92 pounds of torque.
So far it has had no mager problems,
it's just a nice simple "I'll get you
there and go back with pep in your step
money in your pocket car".

Power to weight ratio!(I raced a v6 thunderbird and kept up!), transmisson,engine sound when pushed,the could be upgraded stock wheels my dad placed ^_-

Improvements natrually won't happen, but "Mazda" should concept a 2005 Mazda 323 hatchback replica with hot looks with a standard 150hp to 170 or 180hp engine. For a price at least 17,000, because let's face it the turbo charged protege'will be out,but why is it limited?